Let's Twist Again - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

No, Jim's absolutely correct. If you use Carlon boxes purchased at a big box retailer you are a hack and always will be. ;)

Then I say the family should be forcibly removed from the property and placed into state custody, the house razed and hauled to a site capable of handling hazardous waste (remember, it contained boxes from Home Depot!), and the hole in the ground filled in. That'll teach them to use Carlon boxes next time.

electricalperson

those blue carlon zip boxes are great. 2 hour fire rating too. they are pretty much all i use. i actually never used any other kind of box. never had a need to buy the fancy fiberglass ones when the cheap plastic ones are there.

supply house has those tan colored boxes with the screws on the inside. they are new work or old work. they look pretty good and might try them:D

220/221

Blue boxes are inexpensive, lightweight and most importantly non conductive, therefore, superior!

You use wire that has plastic insulation and it's wrapped in a plastic sheath. Why would you want to put it into a metal enclosure? They have the fire rating so what's the problem? Is it one of those "I've always done it this way" things?

Only a hack would install NM in a metal box :grin:

PS. They also now make/sell power tools without cords!!

I would never consider installing wire nuts without first twisting.

Try this one time for me. Next time you are making up wires, simply line them up evenly, all the same length, hold them together tightly and start the wingnut. Once it takes a good bite aftera couple of twists, keep going until the wires start twisting around themselves and you can't get it nmuch tighter. Then unscrew the nut and look at the ends. They will be twisted almost as tight as they would be if you used sidecutters.

Last edited:

peter d

Then I say the family should be forcibly removed from the property and placed into state custody, the house razed and hauled to a site capable of handling hazardous waste (remember, it contained boxes from Home Depot!), and the hole in the ground filled in. That'll teach them to use Carlon boxes next time.

Oh, I totally agree. Then they should never be allowed to build another house on that site because it is permanently contaminated.

480sparky

Oh, I totally agree. Then they should never be allowed to build another house on that site because it is permanently contaminated.

Only if they bought the boxes at Home Depot. If they purchased them at the supply house, they should have received that coveted "Certificate of Non-Hackery" to proudly place in the living room, should the local electrical inspector get invited for Sunday dinner some day.

jeffhornsby

Alot of wire wire nut manufacters due not require pre-twisting I always do. I have seen a brand of wire nuts (can not remeber the brand) were it said do not twist wire. So it would be Nec a violation to twist the wires

480sparky

Alot of wire wire nut manufacters due not require pre-twisting I always do. I have seen a brand of wire nuts (can not remeber the brand) were it said do not twist wire. So it would be Nec a violation to twist the wires

It is. 110.(B). But only if the instructions say NOT to twist. If they simply state it is not necessary, then you still can.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm a pre-twister.
Sung to the tune of "I'm a Girl Watcher." :grin:

I'm not sure it matters if you pre-twist, but if you don't, then it's probably a good idea to crank that wire nut down until it stops.
Or until the tip of the wirenut pops off. :cool:

One other interesting note. This was a kitchen remodeled completed in the last 2 months. It did not take a lifetime of arcing to melt that wirenut.
That just proves it's operator failure.

480sparky

Upon closer examination, those boxes are light blue which means they are the EZ Boxes from Cantex. They are not sold at big box stores. Jim was wrong again.

You sure they aren't Carlon ? SuperBlue? Hard Shell Boxes?
BH122A.jpg

They're a lighter blue than the Carlon Zip-Boxes.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I pretwist, that's what makes the electrical and mechanical connection. The wire nut is just for insulation.
That may be the result, but they are listed as pressure wire connectors, and, with rare exception, do not require pre-twisting. It's still encumbant upon the installer to make a proper connection, whether pre-twisting or not.

[ot]The term 'pre-twisting always makes me think of Popeye twisting his arm before punching Bluto and making him spin like a wheel.[/ot]

peter d

They're a lighter blue than the Carlon Zip-Boxes.

Those pictured in the OP are a smurf tone of light blue. ;) I'm putting my money on Cantex boxes. They aren't common around here because no supply house or big box carries Cantex, but we do have a lot of SuperBlue hacks....errr...I mean users around here. :D

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If installer used low price boxes its just likely wasnt only place he cut corners.
Using a more expensive product doesn't automatically correlate to superior work, either. It just means more money went into materials, perhaps even causing corner-cutting on more important matters, such as skilled workmanship.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Still proof of a hack.
As should be obvious by now, I must challenge that statement. I haven't heard a real reason blue = hack yet.

A lousy chef can ruin a great filet mignon, and a great chef can do wonders with a lowly hamburger patty.

I'll take the creation of an artist with chalk and crayons over that of an ape with oils and acrylics any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.