Light fixture said use only 90 degree supply conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Less than 5000F. I would be willing to bet the lamp socket never gets much over a couple hundred degrees at the worst.
For the brave, save your money cause I have evidence that it can't.

PS: I bet some of you know what evidence I have.

iwire

Staff member
Less than 5000F. I would be willing to bet the lamp socket never gets much over a couple hundred degrees at the worst.

I have little doubt of that, my example was just a foot of wire free air.

Many incandescent operate fine in plastic sockets so its a safe bet they do not get that hot.:)

mivey

Many incandescent operate fine in plastic sockets so its a safe bet they do not get that hot.:)
I did not think about the plastic. I was thinking of the solder at the base of the bulb that would melt if it got too hot, thus killing the load.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
So would installing CFL's or LED's lights lessen the heat? How about j-box the old wire in the attic, and run new wire to the fixture. That wouldn't cost the customer that much more. But then again I can hear it now. " It cost me more money to install it then the fixture costs!":roll:

Yeah, my customers hate it when it costs them more than $100 to install a 99 cent receptacle.

danickstr

What about stripping the old insulation off completely and then applying shrink sleeve in the same color? For the really conscientious. jay that is funny, they buy a cheap-o fixture to save cash and we fuss with the heat of the conductor issue until their wallets are sore.

Status
Not open for further replies.