Lighting switch installed behind a door.

rdshanks

Occupation
Inspector
I cannot find in the NEC the code section ( other than common sense) that says you cannot put a switch behind a door. I wrote a correction to move the switch out past the door. I realize there is no code that says there is no requirement for a swicth but there is one now.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I cannot find in the NEC the code section ( other than common sense) that says you cannot put a switch behind a door. I wrote a correction to move the switch out past the door. I realize there is no code that says there is no requirement for a swicth but there is one now.
So you think you are allowed to make your own rules?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is a design issue and not a code issue. There is nothing that permits you as the inspector to require this.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hopefully the OP will come back and tell us what authourizes him to make up his own rules.

HarryJames201

Occupation
Construction
Deat NEC doesn't specifically ban putting a switch behind a door but it's definitely not ideal for ease of use and safety.Having the switch behind a door can be a hassle so moving it outside the door is a smart choice for better accessibility and practical use, even if the code doesn’t explicitly require it.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Look into building code not NEC.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Deat NEC doesn't specifically ban putting a switch behind a door but it's definitely not ideal for ease of use and safety.Having the switch behind a door can be a hassle so moving it outside the door is a smart choice for better accessibility and practical use, even if the code doesn’t explicitly require it.
The OP is an inspector and needs to inspect per adopted code and not by opinions.

Ron

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
I wrote a correction to move the switch out past the door. I realize there is no code that says there is no requirement for a swicth but there is one now.
Interesting; how does that work in your jurisdiction? Here in Oregon, the legally binding code is the Oregon Electrical Specialty Code, as adopted by the state Building Codes Division. There's no provision for individual inspectors to make ad hoc local amendments.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
When someone writes something grammatically confusing, IMHO one should attempt to read as charitably as possible.

The OP said they were looking for a code section, then they said 'I realize there is no code that says there is no requirement for a swicth but there is one now.'

I _interpret_ this as the OP saying that code changed and they can't find the relevant section, not them saying that they are making up a requirement per their whim.

The code citation is 210.70(A)(1), and I think post #13 pretty much covers it. What does 'near an entrance mean'? On the wrong side of the door is 'near' for a magical ruler that can penetrate the door, but a longer distance away if you measure the path someone has to follow to operate the switch...and there is no set distance for what constitutes 'near'.

-Jonathan

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No just common sense and what could be considered "workmanlike " manner. Also no good for ADA or Accessibility.
If you can cite a code section that it violates I'm with you. If you cannot then common sense, convenience, or anything else doesn't matter.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No just common sense and what could be considered "workmanlike " manner. Also no good for ADA or Accessibility.
"Workmanlike" is in the eye of the beholder and the style manual says the word is likely unenforceable.

NC actually says inspectors that make up their own rules are guilty of "willful misconduct, gross negligence, or gross incompetence" Ca may have something similar.

(c) For purposes of this Article, "willful misconduct, gross negligence, or gross incompetence" in addition to the meaning of those terms under other provisions of the General Statutes or at common law, includes any of the following:

(1) Enforcing a Code requirement in areas or circumstances not specified in the requirement.

(2) Refusing to accept an alternative design or construction method that has been appealed under G.S. 143-140.1 and found by the Office of the State Fire Marshal to comply with the Code under the conditions or circumstances set forth in the Office of the State Fire Marshal's decision for that appeal.

(3) Refusing to allow an alternative construction method currently included in the Building Code under the conditions or circumstances set forth in the Code for that alternative method.

(4) Enforcing a requirement that is more stringent than or otherwise exceeds the Code requirement.

(5) Refusing to implement or adhere to an interpretation of the Building Code issued by the Building Code Council or the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

(6) Habitually failing to provide requested inspections in a timely manner.

(7) Enforcing a Code official's preference in the method or manner of installation of heating ventilation and air-conditioning units, appliances, or equipment if it is not required by the State Building Code and is in contradiction of a manufacturer's installation instructions or specifications. (1977, c. 531, s. 1; 1987, c. 827, ss. 224, 225; 1989, c. 681, s. 15; 1993, c. 232, s. 4.1; 1999-78, s. 2; 1999-372, s. 5; 2001-421, s. 2.4; 2015-145, s. 3(a); 2018-29, s. 9; 2022-62, s. 30; 2023-142, s. 2(b); 2023-151, s. 11.78.)

With all that said, have you ever submitted a PI for your idea?