Lighting switch installed behind a door.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
For better or worse, when code uses subjective language, it creates a situation where both the inspector and electrician have wiggle room to decide subjectivity what is 'right'. :(

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My rationale is nothing more than a common sense call of not having to look for a light switch behind a door in a dark room.
And those you inspect haven't challenged your so called "common sense" rules?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
My rationale is nothing more than a common sense call of not having to look for a light switch behind a door in a dark room.

IMHO this is _not_ your call, but is a subjective bit of code, thus we here cannot give you a definitive answer one way or the other. You as an inspector cannot simply make up code just because it feels right.

This is a question for the 'authority having jurisdiction', not the individual inspector, but rather the inspection department. Ideally your department has a solid definition for what constitutes 'near' which will let you take out a tape measure and give a go/no-go call. If you are an inspector in a small locality, your personal opinion might weigh quite heavily in what the 'AHJ' decides is an appropriate definition of 'near'.

IMHO this is akin to the rules in 230.70(A)(1) for service disconnects inside of buildings. There is no definition in code for how far unfused service disconnect conductors are permitted inside of a building, just a requirement for a disconnect 'nearest' where the conductors enter. What is allowed and rejected varies all over the place.

Personally: I agree that the requirement should be written so that someone standing in the doorway can reach the switch before entering the room. But the code says what it says. Reference Charlie's Rule: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/charliess-rule-for-reading-the-nec.2572403/

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This has been discussed here, a LOT...

The closest I see to any discussion on the location of switches is that
  1. In 210.70(A)(1), where it is actually discussing lighting OUTLETS, Exception 2, referring to using an occupancy sensor, uses the following phrase: "... located at a customary wall switch location..." So that then implies there IS such a thing as a "customary" location, but that is not further defined, nor is customary the same as a requirement.
  2. In 210.70(A)(3) and (C), referring to storage spaces, they use the phrase "At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces.", again without further definition.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The 2020 code requires the switch to be located near an entrance to the room. Whatever that means. 🙄 😀
When our house was being built a door was moved to the other side of a room after the electrical was in; the framers had misread the plans and had to fix it, and they didn't tell the electricians. The switch is across the room from the only entrance, so in our case "near" is about ten feet. :D

Last edited:

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
If it's on a set of plans and switch, not door handing, is shown in a different location then you could enforce. (barring a change order).
Otherwise seems it's between contractor and the homeowner/builder.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
"Near" can be behind a door no matter how it is defined.
I learned the hard way just because it's code compliant that doesn't mean your customer is going to like it. Let's say you don't factor voltage drop into your installation, the inspector will pass the job based on NEC requirements that are met. But the customer won't pay you if the lamps barely put off any light.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
"Near" can be behind a door no matter how it is defined.
This I'll disagree with.

For this particular application, we could define "near" as meaning say "when the door is open 90 degrees, the length of a string connecting the tip of the switch to the center point of the doorway shall not exceed 3', where the string may not pass through any opening smaller than 6" in diameter." If we had such a definition, and the door has no holes in it, and is at least 18" wide, a switch behind the door can never be "near".

Of course, as the NEC does not provide that definition, it is debatable whether the AHJ has the authority to interpret "near" as meaning something like that which would rule out switches behind doors.

Cheers, Wayne

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This I'll disagree with.
I'm sure you will but Larry's explanation is the one I'd go with

But using your string just pass it through on the hinge side, and think about an anorexic with skinny arms.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only reason that "near" was added to the code rule was because in the previous codes, the code would have permitted you to install almost all of the light switches for a dwelling at a single location.