Liqua Tight flimsy flex fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

I am talking about code compliant vs non-code compliant.A customer want to replace a non-grounded recptacle ,I can put a grounded type receptacle in but it would violate code,I could run a ground wire by itself back to the panel,which would make it better but would still violate code.I must replace it with a GFCI or a non-grounded receptacle.I don't have to rewire the house I just have to know what the minimum the code allows

Rewire...with all due respect, this whole discussion about NM conductors not being rated without the sheath, and you cant put them in flex, is a bit silly IMO, but that's ok...to each their own..

Seriously Im not here to argue with you about anything because lifes too short... but you cant tell me it was unsafe. You can tell me it did not meet the letter of the code ...but seriously??

Im backing out of this one......have a good evening............:smile:

signed.....dangerous, stupid, no exuse, and what was it? oh yes "totaly going against the code"

Sparky555

Just for the sake of argument How do you'all (yankees included) switch from wiring inside the house (or any structure) to outdoor wiring??? What is the "code approved" method for installing a outdoor surface mounted bell box GFCI.. Is a surface mounted bell box (or any J-box) considered a wet location??? Give me solutions__ I already am aware there is a discrepancy.

Yankee Solution:
Inside...EMT to exterior bell box, LB, or Pull-El.
Outside...EMT above grade, or RMC below grade.
THHN/THWN copper wire on the whole run. Personal favorite is stranded for easy pulling.

Minuteman

There was a thread awhile back, where a poster attempted to contrast the difference between theoretical and practical. He used it in reference to being a theoretical and/or practical electrician. He made a great point, but some guys misunderstood the whole thing, because it sounded as if we could only be one or the other rather than there being moments of each.

Anyway, truth is, sometimes we need to be practical. Mule was. He fixed the problem and it passed inspection. Good enough for me.

Was it to the letter of the law? Might be, as we do not know what code cycle this jurisdiction is under.

Before we start throwing stones, just remember that times that you yourself took a practical route rather than the 110% code compliant route.

peter d

Yankee Solution:
THHN/THWN copper wire on the whole run. Personal favorite is stranded for easy pulling.

Yes, what you said. Only around here in New England I would never install EMT outdoors. It rusts out too quickly and looks like trash in a few short years.

quogueelectric

Rewire...with all due respect, this whole discussion about NM conductors not being rated without the sheath, and you cant put them in flex, is a bit silly IMO, but that's ok...to each their own..

Seriously Im not here to argue with you about anything because lifes too short... but you cant tell me it was unsafe. You can tell me it did not meet the letter of the code ...but seriously??

Im backing out of this one......have a good evening............:smile:

signed.....dangerous, stupid, no exuse, and what was it? oh yes "totaly going against the code"
I agree if you installed everything to the letter of ALL codes you would never get any work done and price yourself out of customers.

peter d

Yankee Solution:

Wait, I just noticed something. You said "Inside - EMT to exterior bell box..." You're one of those Chicago guys, aren't you? ;)

Yes, what you said. Only around here in New England I would never install EMT outdoors. It rusts out too quickly and looks like trash in a few short years.

I have never had EMT rust on me.
I live in Colorado where it is sunny one day, snows the next, and is sunny the following day.

We experience dramatic temperature changes, which would lead to issues in this regard. However, I have installed EMT outside, in Colorado, for over 9 years now... (that's how long I've been here) and have not seen EMT rust.

I put it low, next to the ground... I put it high, on top of roofs...
No rusting here...

peter d

I have never had EMT rust on me.
I live in Colorado where it is sunny one day, snows the next, and is sunny the following day.

We experience dramatic temperature changes, which would lead to issues in this regard. However, I have installed EMT outside, in Colorado, for over 9 years now... (that's how long I've been here) and have not seen EMT rust.

I put it low, next to the ground... I put it high, on top of roofs...
No rusting here...

We have salty air here...EMT simply does not last.

iwire

Staff member

It may be silly but it is not 'to each their own' it is code. :smile:

but you cant tell me it was unsafe.

I don't think anyone did say it was unsafe, I did not.

It makes no sense in these lawsuit happy times to violate the code. It also would only have taken a walk to your truck to fix it code compliantly. :cool:

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Just for the sake of argument How do you'all (yankees included) switch from wiring inside the house (or any structure) to outdoor wiring??? What is the "code approved" method for installing a outdoor surface mounted bell box GFCI.. Is a surface mounted bell box (or any J-box) considered a wet location??? Give me solutions__ I already am aware there is a discrepancy.

I missed the coherant response to this question.

I'm under the impression rt66 is asking about using a NM wiring method indoors and going into the back of a bell box outside in a wet location.

Mule

It may be silly but it is not 'to each their own' it is code. :smile:

"our inspectors dont make calls like that"

I don't think anyone did say it was unsafe, I did not.
Ok, my apologies ...:D

It makes no sense in these lawsuit happy times to violate the code. It also would only have taken a walk to your truck to fix it code compliantly. :cool:

The installation passed inspection.........and I personaly thought I was doing it to code....now I guess Im lazy too..:smile:

Only when Im working on a $10,000 rent house do I ever consider PVC, or in this case the liqua tight. Personaly I hate PVC for above ground installations, but I am confident that it will out last the house, trust me. I usually install EMT, but just thought I would try this stuff, and I was not impressed with the fittings, which was the intent of this thread...

Sparky555

I wired new machines with extensive use of liquid-tight conduit and fittings. I've only use it occasionally since, but never had a problem with the fittings. Maybe it's "operator-error".

Mule

I wired new machines with extensive use of liquid-tight conduit and fittings. I've only use it occasionally since, but never had a problem with the fittings. Maybe it's "operator-error".

The plastic stuff PVC....These fittings had a hole in them about the size of a pencil maybe a sharpie at best....

Status
Not open for further replies.