Local electrician dead; no lock-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

James@CHA said:
Not that the man deserved his fate, but if you have such disregard for electrical safety then he asked for it.

I have worked with people with little regard to the field, but my god, that's quite harsh!

76nemo

76nemo said:
I have worked with people with little regard to the field, but my god, that's quite harsh!

I hope everyone here has seen Donnie's accident. I have heard himself say he shouldn't of used a motor rotation indicator for phase sequence. A resistor blew out a carbon puff onto the buss, and it was a miracle he survived. He was the first one to admit his mistake, he was gifted with a second chance. I may be banned for this, but how dare you speak of this man's scenario in this fashion?:mad:

Again, how dare you?????????????

iaov

This is a very dangerous buisiness we're in> I try to never get on my Harley without a quick reminder to myself that I could be killed. I also try to remember that anytime I am touching wires I could be killed also. Both require being deliberate. I've never been shocked when I was expecting it!!

iwire

Staff member
zog said:
Dont tell me a 50+ year old electrician didnt know to work under a LOTO.

I am going to tell you with all confidence that there are tens of thousands of electricians in this country that have never heard the term LOTO.

That is not their own fault as much it is a lack of training.

ultramegabob

James@CHA said:
Not that the man deserved his fate, but if you have such disregard for electrical safety then he asked for it.

You have no idea whether this was his normal practice a momentary laps of judgement or if he got distracted for a second and forgot he didnt lock it out. things happen and people make mistakes, this time he paid dearly. Reading this thread makes me feel sick because I can think of things that I do that I am going to change, and although some may not admit it, Im sure everyone on here has safety issues they need to improve on.

brian john

I am going to tell you with all confidence that there are tens of thousands of electricians in this country that have never heard the term LOTO.

I am dead serious many electricians when asked about L-O-T-O will tell you they play the lottery, when you explain LOCK-OUT-TAG-OUT, they shake their heads and laugh.

I do work for many ECs, I see men cutting holes in energized switchboards without any protection. Mains energized on the line side no LOTO during construction. Pulling feeders in to switchboards with the LOAD terminations connected including the EGC. In one 6 month period we responded to 3 calls where electrician's had terminated the EGC then pushed it into a energized switchboard. In all 3 cases explosions and injuries, the worst injury was a 4 day stay in the hospital and several weeks off work. All were lucky.

Almost all blowups we see where it was human interface initiated it is through ignorance of what they were trying to do.

hillbilly

That story is very sad...

A simple piece of tape across the breaker might have saved his life.

It's easy to become complacent....until you read about something like this.

You have to be deliberate....safety first...safety first.

I feel really sorry for his family, as I'm sure that my family would miss
me too.....just like yours would miss you.

It can happen if you allow it.

steve

220/221

Noy knowing any more details, I think that the person who energized the circuit should possibly be charged with a serious crime.

In MY mind, you NEVER energize something unless you know where it goes and that it's clear.

Obviously everybody doesn't think like I do.

I don't often follow the LOTO rules but I am always aware and generally work like it's hot, especially in remodel situations. In some cases I use a note, written on masking tape to cover the breaker. In the case of relocating the range circuit, I would have taped up the bare conductors.

In extreme cases where the disco is out of sight and I must make solid contact with conductors etc., I will take more extreme measures.

I have installed a few buckets hot, as not to inconvienence businesses, but it's not likely that I'll ever do it again. It's just too dangerous.

The fact remains that, stuff happens. I don't mind dying but please, NOT at work.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
The home plant is one of my customers. I had lunch two weeks ago with the PM for that job in Georgia. Small world. Sorry to hear about that.

I did a couple of jobs last month for martin's employees who are here early to set the plant up. They were extremely nice people; one even gave me a bag of freshly baked potato rolls. I thought they were pretty good.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
220/221 said:
Noy knowing any more details, I think that the person who energized the circuit should possibly be charged with a serious crime. . . . .

. . . . .In MY mind, you NEVER energize something unless you know where it goes and that it's clear.

That's not a law though. I'm sure the guy who turned it on feels terrible enough, but you can't lay the blame squarely on that employee.

jnsane84

That truly is an unfortunate accident. To say that he asked for it is out of line. Was he cautious enough maybe not but why speak ill of someone who has already payed the ultimate price. I make it a practice to always locate all of my guys when energizing anything. I walk the area to ensure there are no strays and I contact each of my guys to make sure they know whats goin on. LOTO is great but the most important tool doesnt come out of a catalog or from the local supply house.......COMMUNICATION. It's free and one of the best tools available. As many others...my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. For all of the guys who read this...Be Safe and Communicate.

nakulak

iwire said:

amen on that

brian john

I make it a practice to always locate all of my guys when energizing anything. I walk the area to ensure there are no strays and I contact each of my guys to make sure they know whats goin on. LOTO is great but the most important tool doesnt come out of a catalog or from the local supply house

One of the things I dislike most is an call to a building with a tripped GFP. Walk the riser turn everything off, disconnect controls meg the riser if all is good preparing to restore power.

I want to make sure everyone is clear tenants are safe, other trades are clear, building personnel are all accounted for and the building owner or responsible party must give the clearance to restore power. I have never been responsible for injuries to another person and do not want that on my head.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
ItsHot said:
Sorry to hear of this loss! And dissapointed to have read such a crude comment!! Be careful out there!!

The crude comment gives me pause for slacking on the LOTO kit lately, or foolishly using wire-pulling gloves in belt bags rather than Salisbury. No one else should be touching panels during service work, so says me, until seeing things like this.

zog

iwire said:

That is really sad, minimal safety training should be required to get an electrical license.

zog

brantmacga said:
I did a couple of jobs last month for martin's employees who are here early to set the plant up. They were extremely nice people; one even gave me a bag of freshly baked potato rolls. I thought they were pretty good.

The people or the rolls?

ItsHot

zog said:
That is really sad, minimal safety training should be required to get an electrical license.
This is true, but there is a large number of unlicensed electricians out there. Not illegal, just unlicensed! Continued safety training and awareness should be a good start.

mattsilkwood

i hate to hear news like that about anyone but when its someone in the trade it really hits close to home. and as for him asking for it thats just plain bs. im sure im not the only one on here thats done hot work or not used a loto when i probably should have but i cant remember ever "asking for it".

Status
Not open for further replies.