Looking for a light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I need to find a switch, preferably Eaton line, but other brands may work if their white color is close to the Eaton white.

Deco toggle dimmer for low watt resi LED light, but I need the dimmer actuator part to not be a slide control. Something like Lutron Maestro but the on/off needs to be more like the std deco snap toggle. Need to be able to "set" dim level and then use the switch w/o bumping actuator and changing the dim level. On Maestro you kinda have to hold the actuator up or down for a sec (or one push per level) to reach the dim setting desired and then it sticks there.

I looked through Eaton site and did not find one.

Suggestions?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If it’s the one I’m thinking of, Eaton has discontinued it. I have a customer that has about 60-70 of them in his house, and apparently I have bought the last of them out on the internet! LOL! They make a replacement, but it has a slide instead of push to dim and brighten. They have a slave and a master.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lutron Maestro LED+

1673133090526.png
You might not find one with a mechanical switch and electronic dimmer buttons.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I need to find a switch, preferably Eaton line, but other brands may work if their white color is close to the Eaton white.

Deco toggle dimmer for low watt resi LED light, but I need the dimmer actuator part to not be a slide control. Something like Lutron Maestro but the on/off needs to be more like the std deco snap toggle. Need to be able to "set" dim level and then use the switch w/o bumping actuator and changing the dim level. On Maestro you kinda have to hold the actuator up or down for a sec (or one push per level) to reach the dim setting desired and then it sticks there.

I looked through Eaton site and did not find one.

Suggestions?
Lutron Skylark has a slide to dim and toggle on/off.

1673141038593.png

synchro

Occupation
EE
In the Maestro LED+ that Larry posted, there are two Preset options that can be programmed instead of the default where it goes to a maximum light level when it's turned ON.
From Lutron application note #124:
• Locked Preset: When programmed for a locked preset, the dimmer will always turn on to the predetermined
“locked” level anytime the dimmer is turned on with a single tap of the tap button.
• Unlocked Preset: When programmed for an unlocked preset, the dimmer will turn on to the light level that it was
adjusted to the previous time that the light was on.

There's also a newer Lutron "Sunnata" dimmer where you slide a light bar with your finger instead of moving a rocker like in the the Maestro LED+ to adjust the dimming level. It also has the same presets for dimming as the Maestro LED+.

No mechanical switch, though.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
The Lutron's however are not std deco snap (paddle) on/off, they are more like short stroke temp push button. I am trying to preserve the existing style throughout the home, std Eaton deco. I thought I had seen one years ago, the dimmer "slider" to the side of the paddle but it was not an actual slider, it was a thin rocker and you adjusted dimmer with multiple pushes up or down to set the dim.

@hillbilly1 - do you recall the Eaton model # ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The Lutron's however are not std deco snap (paddle) on/off, they are more like short stroke temp push button. I am trying to preserve the existing style throughout the home, std Eaton deco. I thought I had seen one years ago, the dimmer "slider" to the side of the paddle but it was not an actual slider, it was a thin rocker and you adjusted dimmer with multiple pushes up or down to set the dim.

Did you see post #5?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Eaton 9534 DS, yours would probably be 9534w. Mine is desert sand (DS). I ordered some from a vendor a couple of months ago, took them three weeks to figure out they couldn’t get them anymore.

synchro

Occupation
EE
This brochure lists several dimmers in the Eaton Aspire product line that includes the 9534 suggested by hillbilly1:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...dimmers/aspire-design-collection-brochure.pdf

Of those listed, the 9540 looks like it might have the best chance of meeting the OP's needs because it claims compatibility with LEDs, and it provides a list of LED bulbs that have been verified to work with it:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...lection/aspire-smart-al-dimmer-spec-sheet.pdf

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Eaton 9534 9540, paddle appears to be touch and not std snap.

I don't think they make it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Eaton 9534 9540, paddle appears to be touch and not std snap.

I don't think they make it.

They call it an "electromechanical push pad" for ON/OFF operation. That doesn't sound like a rocker, but it seems to imply that you have to push it in and not just touch it.

By the way, the 9540 needs a neutral but no required minimum load is specified.
The 9534 requires a 60W minimum load:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...smart-dimmer-instruction-sheet-eis-0127-e.pdf

synchro

Occupation
EE
The Leviton DSL06 has a full size rocker switch with a narrow slider on the side to set the dimming level. Is having the slider a problem? It doesn't seem that likely that someone pushing the rocker would be moving the slider around, but I guess anything is possible.

DSL06-W_02.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Again, did you see post #5?
He wants a Decora-style dimmer that turns on with a tap to the top of the pivoting paddle and off with a tap to the bottom, not just a Decora-sized dimmer where you tap the top for both on and off, and definitely not yours with the little toggle and the large slide.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
He wants a Decora-style dimmer that turns on with a tap to the top of the pivoting paddle and off with a tap to the bottom, not just a Decora-sized dimmer where you tap the top for both on and off, and definitely not yours with the little toggle and the large slide.
I thought the OP was talking about a "Decora" shape so the plate would match other plates. Thought that they wanted a slide to dim and toggle to turn on/off. That's why I posted the skylark.
Guess I was wrong!

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Sorry, "deco" "decorator" "Decora", std rectangle.

"full size" decorator paddle, no dim slider. I looking for where the dimmer part is just not a slider, and, the paddle is like std snap toggle.

Everything else in the homes are Eaton std decorator, so, trying to preserve the feel of the snap toggle paddle.

I looked more today, can't find anything, if it's out there it's probably off-brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.