Low Volt or Wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

I am the electrician on a job where the framer has (5) 2x6's together for a door jam. The problem is that there is no room for a switch box (i.e. the window is 9 inches from the door). Would you install a low volt contactor without box and run low gauge wire to relay below floor into basement, or install wireless? Or would you hack it up with a router and knock plates?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I am the electrician on a job where the framer has (5) 2x6's together for a door jam. The problem is that there is no room for a switch box (i.e. the window is 9 inches from the door). Would you install a low volt contactor without box and run low gauge wire to relay below floor into basement, or install wireless? Or would you hack it up with a router and knock plates?

Easy. Just use a Lutron PICO kit and remote mount the switch where it is convienent. You'll also gets other benifits and not very expensive or labor intensive.

euclid43

I will check into the Lutron stuff, but I try to visualize problems before they occur and hate to imagine having this Lutron system fail and resort to putting a conventional switch system in later. It would be a disaster and reflex poorly on me.

texie

Occupation
I will check into the Lutron stuff, but I try to visualize problems before they occur and hate to imagine having this Lutron system fail and resort to putting a conventional switch system in later. It would be a disaster and reflex poorly on me.

I feel the same way about the reliability issues. This is rock solid. I've done many. And the added benifits are a real plus. You can do it with dimmer or switch and you won't even need a box for the PICO remote-just room for a switch plate.

euclid43

Furthermore, it is used for an outside light; so installing a Lutron Pico would involve installing a "master" where there is power, and the wireless switch used in the "limited" area, correct?

texie

Occupation
Furthermore, it is used for an outside light; so installing a Lutron Pico would involve installing a "master" where there is power, and the wireless switch used in the "limited" area, correct?

Yes, the "master" is just a 1 gang device that looks like a Decora device which you can put at convienent place-maybe even a place where it can be used. You just wire it like a regular switch-line and load (some models require a neutral, but that should not be a problem) Don't remember the published range, but 100 feet or so is no problem in most situations. The PICO remote uses a "button" battery and last forever. The PICO remote when installed will look like a regular Decora device.

kwired

Electron manager
If the framing members are all necessary to carry something, you will weaken them by hacking out a box.

A little surface metal raceway if absolutely necessary would work. Or come up with some creative way to conceal cable behind a decorative molding. Switch may be most convenient next to the door but I would also consider some alternate location - no code that says it must be by the door.

texie

Occupation
If the framing members are all necessary to carry something, you will weaken them by hacking out a box.

A little surface metal raceway if absolutely necessary would work. Or come up with some creative way to conceal cable behind a decorative molding. Switch may be most convenient next to the door but I would also consider some alternate location - no code that says it must be by the door.

One of the beauties of the PICO solution is you don't even need a box-needs no hacking to the framing.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If the framing members are all necessary to carry something, you will weaken them by hacking out a box....
But if they are not necessary or not called out as detail on the prints, I would have no worries about carefully removing enough wood to fit a 1900 box.

I have seen a lot of custom homes with a lot of wasted lumber.

kwired

Electron manager
But if they are not necessary or not called out as detail on the prints, I would have no worries about carefully removing enough wood to fit a 1900 box.

I have seen a lot of custom homes with a lot of wasted lumber.

Understood - I only mentioned it because some guys just like to start hacking without thinking about why there are all those studs there in the first place. If there is a big beam sitting right on top of them they are likely there for good reason.

texie

Occupation
I've used wireless remote switches from illumra on more than a few occasions. They look & work like Decora devices and can be installed anywhere. Added benefit, no batteries to change ever. (unlike the Pico which has a button cell)
Illumra:
http://www.illumra.com/Products/Wireless_Light_Switches/E3T-S1AWH_Single_Rocker.html

Now that you mention this, I just remembered Leviton makes a similar self powered product. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=38837&minisite=10251

Status
Not open for further replies.