low voltage landscape lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

formula1

im curious if different parts of the country have local codes about landscapers/pool guys and whoever wants being allowed to install low voltage lights

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
@formula1

In my various neck(s) of the woods the low-voltage lighting ends up being cord and plug connected and in many cases not afforded the joyous opportunity to be inspected by anyone other than the home owner right before they pay their bill. However, you did state something regarding low-voltage lighting near pools to which the local inspector would indeed cite any issues with Article 411 and 680 respectfully.

The real issue is that the NEC mandates one thing but the permitting process in a local jurisdiction may mandate yet another. For example, in some localities you do not need a permit for anything under 50V that does not penetrate a fire rated assemble and such...so no one would ever pull the permit for the low voltage lighting to even get inspection.

This does not excuse someone from following the NEC where applicable, it just means no AHJ will be charged to observe it and make judgment on it. If any of that makes sense, I hope it does anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that the intent (and I do not think they did a good job of it) was to allow the Malibu type landscape light sets that use one run of landscape wire and insulation displacement connectors at all of the lights and at the transformer.
No screw terminals and no splices.
JMO.
Note that an outdoor outlet is specified....

Tapatalk!

GerryB

Very interesting being from CT. This law certainly is largely ignored, but I am going to make a copy for customers when I loose those jobs to the stone guys and the landscapers.

CT Tom

Very interesting being from CT. This law certainly is largely ignored, but I am going to make a copy for customers when I loose those jobs to the stone guys and the landscapers.

Lost more than my fair share as well. At one of our license renewal classes, I asked in class what if anything was being done in regards to unlicensed/cross trade work like this. Got a no comment from the state guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.