low voltage support spans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbardonski

I cant seem to find the actual code articles that say how far overhead stapling/strapping of low voltage cables (tv, phone, fire alarm). what is/are the code article(s) and what is the distance?

johnj

I don't see anywhere in the code a specific support footage for open wiring. 725.24 refers to low voltage wiring and its installation.

johnj

Exactly. And the 300's do not give any support requirement in footage. Which tells me there isn't a specific code requirement for low voltage wiring. (footage in support of wiring)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The NEC is concerned with safety and the protection of life and property. Low voltage wiring, except as noted in Art 725 is inherently safe. How such wiring is supported is not a safety issue so it is not something you will see addressed by the NEC. Rather it is a design issue that you will have to look to the cable manufacturers for, or as has been stated the EIA/TIA or BICSI for guidance.

-Hal

FlyFish

760.130(B)(1) is the only Article in the 700's that addresses fastening of cables. "Where located within 7 ft. of the floor, cables shall be securely fastened in an approved manner at intervals of not more than 18".

EBFD6

The NEC is concerned with safety and the protection of life and property. Low voltage wiring, except as noted in Art 725 is inherently safe. How such wiring is supported is not a safety issue so it is not something you will see addressed by the NEC. Rather it is a design issue that you will have to look to the cable manufacturers for, or as has been stated the EIA/TIA or BICSI for guidance.

-Hal

It depends on the type of low volt cable you are installing. Check the manufacturers information listing.

Agreed, this is not an NEC issue, but rather a manufacturer specification, listing, labeling issue.

stevenj76

It is a code issue, not just a mfr install spec.

Run your cable ontop of the tiles, and watch the inspector tell you it has to be supported every 54" independently of the grid support wires. Now whether you choose to run within six inches of magnetic ballasts, now thats up to you.

iwire

Staff member
It is a code issue, not just a mfr install spec.

Run your cable ontop of the tiles, and watch the inspector tell you it has to be supported every 54" independently of the grid support wires. Now whether you choose to run within six inches of magnetic ballasts, now thats up to you.

Steven this is a NEC forum, you will have to provide a code reference for the 54" spacing you mentioned above or you will get hammered here. :)

The NEC does not specify a distance or even require that they be supported at all. But the NEC does prohibit us from laying them on the grid of a dropped ceiling.

stevenj76

I stand corrected, you guys are right :(

The code just refers to physical protection and support items not including span between supports.

This makes me feel alot better about those thousands of times I was ten feet between zipties.

I guess I should follow my own advice, and forget everything I ever knew about 'the code.'

MAK

But the NEC does prohibit us from laying them on the grid of a dropped ceiling.

725.21 says "Access to electrical equipment shall not be denied by an accumulation of wires and cables that prevent removal of panels, including suspended ceiling panels."

This does not seem to restrict a few cables laying on a drop tile ceiling as long as you could remove the tile.
I am not saying I would do this but it does seem to leave a loop hole in the code.:roll:
Or am I completely wrong here?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
725.21 says "Access to electrical equipment shall not be denied by an accumulation of wires and cables that prevent removal of panels, including suspended ceiling panels."

This does not seem to restrict a few cables laying on a drop tile ceiling as long as you could remove the tile.
I am not saying I would do this but it does seem to leave a loop hole in the code.:roll:
That section does leave a loop hole. It is closed in some of the other Chapter 7 articles where they reference 300.11, but is not closed in Article 725.

JFletcher

I have been failed for comm wire touching the grids. Section 800.24 was cited, which references 300.11. Last sentence of 300.11(A):

"Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids".

I didn't argue it. No point in arguing with the inspector for fifteen minutes when it took two to fix the violation.

No ceiling panel is incapable of being removed; xxx.21 says nothing about having to remove the tiles in one piece. :roll:

iirc, the 54" distance between supports comes from TIA specs - as has been mentioned previously in this thread, there is no NEC requirement.

satcom

Try not to leave even one small cable in the drop celing un secured, that could be the one cable that drops when the fire crew is working a fire and that one cable could the one that tangles in the breathing controls on the fire fighter, the whole reason they want the cables secured, is to prevent deaths and injuries, from intanglement, I lot of guys don;t see the dangers involved with wires laying on a drop ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.