Main Disconnect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I was looking at a job today and the customer asked what would be involved to upgrade their 100 amp service to say 150 amp.

Looked at the panel in the basement and saw that it was feed with what appears to be an SER, this runs the entire length of the house inside.

I go outside and find the in ground splice box for the underground service, #2 AL direct burial, URD.

At the meter I find a 100 amp main disconnect.

I think the installation has a few violations, at least no GES at the disconnect, only three wire from disconnect to panel.

Shouldn't the water ground and or ground rod be attached at the disconnect?

Jim W in Tampa

Looks rather new . No real options here, it must be 4 wire from disconnect and ground rods at disc or meter depending on what poco wants there. Likely was a hack that did this install.

raider1

Staff member
Yes, the grounding electrode conductor must be connected to the grounded conductor at or before the service disconnecting means. After the service disconnecting means you must run a separate equipment grounding conductor and neutral conductor.

Also the main bonding jumper must be installed at the service disconnecting means.

Take a look at 250.24 and 250.28.

Chris

Occupation
Inspector
Yes, the grounding electrode conductor must be connected to the grounded conductor at or before the service disconnecting means. After the service disconnecting means you must run a separate equipment grounding conductor and neutral conductor.

Also the main bonding jumper must be installed at the service disconnecting means.

Take a look at 250.24 and 250.28.

Chris

Shouldn't the grounded conductor be insulated?

M. D.

Has this house been sold recently ??

the reason I ask is that disconnect is very new ,, looks like an after thought or perhaps a H.I. saw the unprotected service entrance cable running all that way and the result was to hack this in

Occupation
Inspector
perhaps SE becomes round when crammed into an LB?

It was like that the entire length in the house as well. This what is confusing to me.

This install was just inspected, June 8, 2009. The inspection stick reads, "panel only".

It's still wrong so did the Inspector make a big Faux pas?

Last edited:

M. D.

It runs through a hose too??:)

I have never seen round SE cable that did not have 4 wires

as far as the inspector goes ,.. he missed it completely

Jim W in Tampa

Something wrong here . Things look new here like unpermited or whatever and your caught in the mess . It's KY so yes i actually do understand. Nothing much you can do but use what is there and offer a legal permited cure. I have deep roots in KY and understand the issues. You have a license to protect. No way in h what you have is to code and not asking how it passed or got resealed at meter. Your job is to offer to fix for a price. Problem is they wont like price and is working. After the fire they will call you. Trust me i know what goes on in KY and your faceing a block wall.

M. D.

Something wrong here . Things look new here like unpermited or whatever and your caught in the mess . It's KY so yes i actually do understand. Nothing much you can do but use what is there and offer a legal permited cure. I have deep roots in KY and understand the issues. You have a license to protect. No way in h what you have is to code and not asking how it passed or got resealed at meter. Your job is to offer to fix for a price. Problem is they wont like price and is working. After the fire they will call you. Trust me i know what goes on in KY and your faceing a block wall.

Speaking of Kentucky ,.. Jim ,.. take it easy ,..he was asked a question ,. he knows there are violations ,.. and I trust,. if he prices the job he will figure in the corrections...along with the upgrade .

Status
Not open for further replies.