Main GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyone72

I need to ground multiple transformers to earth. Each unit requires a #2. How do I calculate the wire size needed to ground (4) of these units together?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The GEC would only need to be sized for one transformer (the largest), it wouldn't matter how many you are tieing to the GES.

Roger

raider1

Staff member
The GEC would only need to be sized for one transformer (the largest), it wouldn't matter how many you are tieing to the GES.

Roger

Actually if you are connecting multiple separately derived systems to a single grounding electrode conductor the common grounding electrode must be a 3/0 and the taps to each transformer can be sized for each transformer.

Check out 250.30(A)(4) (2008 NEC)

Chris

pete m.

It appears you are asking about sizing the GEC for multiple SDS's. If this is the case 250.30(A)(4) would be a good place to start. In this section it is permissible to use taps (sized based on the derived phase conductor) to a common GEC. The common GEC is required to be minimum 3/0 coper or 250kcmil AL.

Pete

pete m.

Actually if you are connecting multiple separately derived systems to a single grounding electrode conductor the common grounding electrode must be a 3/0 and the taps to each transformer can be sized for each transformer.

Chris

Always typing too slow... :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Chris

You are correct Chris, I was posting before coffee. :mad:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.