May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenieur

Your invocation of causality is baffling. A reversal is the same as a rotation of 180deg, by any common definition. One does not cause the other, they are two phrases that describe the same thing. Like 1-1=2-2. One side of that equation does not cause the other.

only baffling to those who can't grasp the physics
physical reality

take the 2 sec windings
instead of line-coil-dot-n-coil-dot-line
do line-dot-coil-n-coil-dot-line
what is the line-line v in each case?

Ingenieur

'in phase'
1/0 = 1 + 0j
1/0 = 1 + 0j

Vll = 1 + 0j + (-) (1 + 0j) = 0 + 0j = 0/ (arctan 0) = 0/0
the (-) must be in there since the loop is followed in 1 direction and opposed to at least one line
in other words NO voltage if 'in phase', ie, of the same phase

where is the math 'incorrect'?

why do the 2 common/single phase produce 0 v ?
and the 2 out of phase produce one?

Besoeker

Going to disagree on this point. Polarity has a very important meaning; it describes the sense of the measurement. While the AC cycle is both + and - over the cycle, you also need to specify the sense that the meter is connected.
Um..
If I connect my Fluke meter to 120Vac will it read any differently if I reverse the leads?

Last edited by a moderator:

Besoeker

But, at any given moment within a sine wave (other than 0 of course), it is applicable, at least moreso than calling it a time delay of half a cycle.
I knew this would be raised.
Yes, if you picked any single moment in time.
You can't define a sine wave by a measurement of single point instantaneous values.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
only baffling to those who can't grasp the physics

I do not think that failure to grasp the physics is the basis of this discussion. The argument isn't over what is happening, it's over what to call it.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Going to disagree on this point. Polarity has a very important meaning; it describes the sense of the measurement. While the AC cycle is both + and - over the cycle, you also need to specify the sense that the meter is connected./QUOTE]
Um..
If I connect my Fluke meter to 120Vac will it read any differently if I reverse the leads?

No, but your meter is measuring a quantity averaged over time. If it measured an instantaneous value, then yes, it would read differently when you switched the leads, assuming you could repeat the measurement at exactly the same point in the cycle.

jumper

why when 120/240/1 is depicted schematically do they always show TWO sources?

I am answering the question, but not speaking to you. You know the following.

From an earlier posted link:

“The Center-tap Transformer

center tap transformer

trans63.gif

Above shows a typical center-tap transformer. The tapping point is in the exact center of the secondary winding providing a common connection for two equal but opposite secondary voltages. With the center-tap grounded, the output VA will be positive in nature with respect to the ground, while the voltage at the other secondary, VB will be negative and opposite in nature, that is they are 180o electrical degrees out-of-phase with each other.

However, there is one disadvantage of using an ungrounded center tapped transformer and that is it can produce unbalanced voltages in the two secondary windings due to unsymmetrical currents flowing in the common third connection because of unbalanced loads.

We can also produce a center-tap transformer using the dual voltage transformer from above. By connecting the secondary windings in series, we can use the center link as the tap as shown. If the output from each secondary is V, the total output voltage for the secondary winding will be equal to 2V as shown.

Center-tap Transformer using a Dual Voltage Transformer
Transformer

dual voltage center tap

trans64.gif

Multiple Winding Transformers have many uses in electrical and electronic circuits. They can be used to supply different secondary voltages to different loads. Have their windings connected together in series or parallel combinations to provide higher voltages or currents, or have their secondary windings connected together in series to produce a center tapped transformer.”

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/multiple-winding-transformers.html

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Semantics, in my opinion.
Well, duh! :roll: That's the whole reason for threads like this. :happyyes:

If you like, using a -1 multiplier is just as good as adding 180 degrees to the input of a trigonometric function.
I agree that 180 degrees is appropriate in the opposing sense, like the two points where a diameter meets its circle, because it's applicable in the instantaneous moment, whereas 180 degrees along a sine wave, such as peak-to-peak, is only applicable over the duration of half a cycle (or more).

Sigh. It's not meaningless. Hook up the wrong dot end of the transformer core and you have a practical problem. This has been discussed.
Absolutely.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No mathematics required. Hook up a two channel scope and you can visually observe the two difference phases.

The dot notation indicates the start and finish of the winding, not its polarity.
If you place the ground probe on the dot on both (or neither) windings, you'll definitely see two in-phase traces.

Ingenieur

I am answering the question, but not speaking to you. You know the following.

From an earlier posted link:

“The Center-tap Transformer

center tap transformer

trans63.gif

Above shows a typical center-tap transformer. The tapping point is in the exact center of the secondary winding providing a common connection for two equal but opposite secondary voltages. With the center-tap grounded, the output VA will be positive in nature with respect to the ground, while the voltage at the other secondary, VB will be negative and opposite in nature, that is they are 180o electrical degrees out-of-phase with each other.

However, there is one disadvantage of using an ungrounded center tapped transformer and that is it can produce unbalanced voltages in the two secondary windings due to unsymmetrical currents flowing in the common third connection because of unbalanced loads.

We can also produce a center-tap transformer using the dual voltage transformer from above. By connecting the secondary windings in series, we can use the center link as the tap as shown. If the output from each secondary is V, the total output voltage for the secondary winding will be equal to 2V as shown.

Center-tap Transformer using a Dual Voltage Transformer
Transformer

dual voltage center tap

trans64.gif

Multiple Winding Transformers have many uses in electrical and electronic circuits. They can be used to supply different secondary voltages to different loads. Have their windings connected together in series or parallel combinations to provide higher voltages or currents, or have their secondary windings connected together in series to produce a center tapped transformer.”

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/multiple-winding-transformers.html

:happyyes:
180 electrical degrees out of phase
they actually show the waveforms out of phase

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
never said it wasn't
only that the phase angle IS the cause of the reversal
No, it ain't. The flipping of the lead "polarity" when reading the two sources is.

why when 120/240/1 is depicted schematically do they always show TWO sources?
Because it literally is, but electrically connected additively, which requires being connected in phase. Two windings electrically connected subtractively would be out of phase. See above.

Ingenieur

No, it ain't. The flipping of the lead "polarity" when reading the two sources is.

Because it literally is, but electrically connected additively, which requires being connected in phase. Two windings electrically connected subtractively would be out of phase. See above.

:happysad:

nope
one dot is common
the other a line
hence out of phase
both lines = in phase = 0 v

Status
Not open for further replies.