May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Or not. They have a right to their own beliefs. But they should also be honest with themselves about what they do and do not know. They have to be able to row out to the deep water and swim back. If they cannot, they have to be honest with themselves about that.
I agree. Honesty and accuracy rate highly with me.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Single phase, three phase, there is still an underlying physical reality. If a guy wants to know *what* the observable physical reality is, but does not know trig, or had some in school and the memory scares him ... The math is a method of solving, a descriptive language. You can have a hard time ordering breakfast in a foreign language until you find a way of conveying useful information. I just want eggs, not the rest of the chicken or the house it lives in.

A small tangential story...

When I was in training for an oilfield job many moons ago, my roomie was a Peruvian national. He was very educated and his literal command of English was excellent, but idiomatic expressions threw him for a loop. One morning we went out for breakfast and I ordered a couple of eggs sunny side up. He got this confused look on his face and then exploded into uncontrollable laughter. I had to order for him.

Don't even ask about french fries. :D

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Is that the English or American version?

Because you asked:

I'm referring to the International Corpus of English.

There are several CORPORA (plural of Corpus).

The one hundred million-word British National Corpus compiled by learning institutions like Oxford, Lancaster and others have the most entry.

The other one million- word American Corpus that was compiled by Brown University of Rhode Island is the first computerized corpus.

Along with the first corpus compiled by the British in 1960, it is now computerized also with over a million words. `
It is titled Survey of English Usage.
You asked a legit question that deserve an answer.

Thanks for noticing.

Skokian

Two Phase -vs- "Bi-Phase"

Two Phase -vs- "Bi-Phase"

Two phase power is always at 90 degree phase angle. This is widely used in servo systems, especially by the military. It was also a distribution system in the past in certain areas.

I call the typical 240/120 setup "Bi-Phase" to differentiate it form true 2 phase.

Note that the 240/120 Vac source is basically a center tapped 240 Vac winding with the center tap being the neutral.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hexaphase is centre tapped three phase - looks like a wheel with six spokes. If that's hex, why isn't 120-0-120 two phase or maybe biphase?
If forced to render an opinion, I would have to say that I am willing, under duress, to call it biphase by analogy to hexaphase. But I draw the line at two phase!
That leaves me preferring six-pulse to hexaphase just to avoid the whole tangle.

Besoeker

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Hexaphase doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry. Google results mostly redirect to a video game called Hexphase. Must not be a widely used term.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hexaphase is centre tapped three phase - looks like a wheel with six spokes. If that's hex, why isn't 120-0-120 two phase or maybe biphase?
It's called that way too often. As you pointed out yourself, hexaphase IS "centre-tapped three phase" just like "biphase' IS center-tapped one-phase.

And no, we don't need to go through the whole discussion again. I won that one. Get over it. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My bad. I was thinking of a full-wave center-tap rectifier.

2 x
rect1.png

=

1620-1348580970-0fd10e5984ea6d032f6fe6a4e8a435b8.png

However, a six-rectifier 3ph supply could be called either six half-wave or three full-wave, which is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.