May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Motors and rotating fields are deeply relevant to this discussion because they show how a 180 degree phase difference is qualitatively different from other values of phase difference.

With a three terminal source giving a phase difference of 120 degrees, using suitable transformers but no delay elements, I can construct any other phase difference I wish. I can take two legs (plus neutral) from a three phase system and use transformers to construct the third leg. I can convert from 2 phase to 3 phase. I can generate 'hexaphase'. Etc.

The same can be said for a three terminal source with _any_ phase difference _except_ 180 degrees. Without delay elements I can't convert a three terminal single phase system to a three phase system.

So while I agree that inversion causes a phase difference, that phase difference is in a very important way different from the phase difference seen in a true '2 phase' system.

-Jon

buffalonymann

Umm..............P=VIcosφ for single phase. You need a √3 in there if you have three phase.
Current isn't work

Would you just try to think of what current actually is; its clearly the work that's being performed. I assume you are now backing off of your assertion that currents cancel?

buffalonymann

Motors and rotating fields are deeply relevant to this discussion because they show how a 180 degree phase difference is qualitatively different from other values of phase difference.

With a three terminal source giving a phase difference of 120 degrees, using suitable transformers but no delay elements, I can construct any other phase difference I wish. I can take two legs (plus neutral) from a three phase system and use transformers to construct the third leg. I can convert from 2 phase to 3 phase. I can generate 'hexaphase'. Etc.

The same can be said for a three terminal source with _any_ phase difference _except_ 180 degrees. Without delay elements I can't convert a three terminal single phase system to a three phase system.

So while I agree that inversion causes a phase difference, that phase difference is in a very important way different from the phase difference seen in a true '2 phase' system.

-Jon

What I don't understand is why they don't apply theory and derive conclusions from that perspective.

buffalonymann

Yes. It will show that, on a 120-0-120, the two 120V legs are 180° apart.

You're mistaken. Look, you have only (1) Primary coil creating the energy in the secondary coil. There is only one voltage and current sine wave within the secondary coil across L1 and L2. If you pick any point between L1 and L2 you will be tapping that one sine wave. If you're seeing a 180 degree phase difference, then you haven't connected your scope correctly.

mivey

-Jon
Yes, they are aligned but still different. Different but still existent.

Two phases with a 120d difference produce positive pulses at different times. Sames for a 121d difference, 122d, 123d, ... 178d, 179d, AND 180d. One degree does not negate the phase difference and they still produce positive pulses at different times.

Most of the time we do not make use of this 180d difference and just use the individual phases alone as single-phase sources. Either the smaller phases or the larger phase.

A case where we do make use of the 180d difference producing positive pulses at different times is the 2-diode full-wave rectifier circuit using a center-tapped transformer.

Other cases include using the 180d positive pulses in a multi-phase inverter.

Just because the phases align does not negate the relationship.

Ingenieur

For the "180 degrees apart" camp, say I have a device that measures voltage versus time between points A and B. And say I have two of them, and I hook up the second one with the leads reversed, so now I can compare the two graphs. What would you call the relationship between those two graphs?

Cheers, Wayne
if I have 3 phases
and I measure across 2 I have single phase
exactly the same as 120/240/1 except angle, 120 vs 180

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What I don't understand is why they don't apply theory and derive conclusions from that perspective.

Must of us understand the theory. This is all about what we call what the theory predicts.

Inversion is a perfectly acceptable way to look at things.

In some ways it is the most sensible way to look at us 'split phase' services.

When you do an inversion you clearly see a 180 degree phase difference.

Now we are arguing about how to _name_ that clearly seen phase difference.

-Jon

Besoeker

Would you just try to think of what current actually is; its clearly the work that's being performed. I assume you are now backing off of your assertion that currents cancel?
Nope.
If you have the same load across each of the L-N 120V legs the current in the neutral will be zero.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
These threads keep getting closed because we simply start calling each other names. I'd like to suggest we can remain polite and focus on the issues.

IMHO buffalonymann is appealing to logic and reason ('electrical theory') and ignoring the fact that logical reasoning depends upon the premises one uses.

Included in those premises are the language definitions one uses.

I am beginning to like 'hemiphase' more and more to describe how an inversion gives a 180 degree phase difference without requiring a time delay.

-Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingenieur

-Jon

no one is saying this is a 2 phase power system
only that split phase can be resolved into 2 phases
one is a 90 deg shift, the other 180
if the shift was 170 is that 2 ph? 179? 181?

Ingenieur

current is charge/time, not work
it takes force (emf) to move mass (electron) over time, result: work/energy
i is not work

Status
Not open for further replies.