Meter cans and mast not grounded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

On a repair service I had run a ground wire from the meter pan to the house load center, but the inspector had us take it out. I had thought it was a good idea since the load side of the can went to the panel in PVC, and the rigid mast and steel box are floating without ground. I wasn't on the inspection to ask why.

hunt4679

Its funny we are not allowed to bond can unless it is connected with steel conduit then we have to use a bonding bushing and bond wire.

In the same sence I was told by the POCO one time that I need a bonding bushing on pvc before they would install the meter. I just laughed until SHE got her boss on the phone and I was told There has to be a bonding bushing on any conduit attached to the can or they wouldnt install the meter. I installed the bushing and bond wire and SHE was happy!!!!!

danickstr

So if something happens to one of the split bolts up top (roofer, wind, etc.) and the weatherhead becomes energized I guess the only way anyone will know is if they accidentally touch the meter pan while standing amidst the spiderweb of bonding wire running everywhere below it. Hope I'm not that guy.

Its funny we are not allowed to bond can unless it is connected with steel conduit then we have to use a bonding bushing and bond wire.

In the same sence I was told by the POCO one time that I need a bonding bushing on pvc before they would install the meter. I just laughed until SHE got her boss on the phone and I was told There has to be a bonding bushing on any conduit attached to the can or they wouldnt install the meter. I installed the bushing and bond wire and SHE was happy!!!!!

That is an important life lesson and not just in an electrical sense.

danickstr

So if the Meter pan has no mains breaker and the service entrance is a long distance from the meter, there would actually be two distinct and separate points where the neutral and ground are jointly bonded, unlike the commonly assumed single point at the service entrance.

If the conduit is metal.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So if the Meter pan has no mains breaker and the service entrance is a long distance from the meter, there would actually be two distinct and separate points where the neutral and ground are jointly bonded, unlike the commonly assumed single point at the service entrance.

If the conduit is metal.
The code permits the grounded conductor for grounding on the line side of the service disconnect. Multiple connections between grounded and grounding are not prohibited on the line side of the service disconnect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If the conduit is metal.

I don't get this. Are you installing 4 wires on a single phase system between your meter, which has no main, and the first disconnect that is a good distance away? 4 wires are not needed, IMO

stars13bars2

the code allows the gec to be connected " to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means." which to me would include the load side of the service disconnect.

Volta

the code allows the gec to be connected " to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means." which to me would include the load side of the service disconnect.

Your quote of 250.24(A)(1) does not allow the system grounded conductor to be "regrounded" on the load side of the disconnect, rather, it specifies that we can connect the GEC at any point from the service point to the disconnect terminal.

Within the disconnect enclosure is not considered the load side for this purpose.

Volta

They are. But we are talking about the terminal lug or bar for the grounded conductor. It can be located anywhere in the enclosure, above, below, wherever- in relation to the disconnect mechanism. The GEC cannot be connected to the grounded conductor outside of that enclosure on the load side, but inside of it no distinction need be made to the location. It is not load or line at that point, it is within the disconnect cabinet.

stars13bars2

I agree that the connection can't be made anywhere outside the disconnect on the load side, but the terminal or busbar will have line and load connections made on it and therefore I don't feel the best description is line side only.

danickstr

to Dennis: I had originally done that (4 wires), not realizing that my meter pan is more than likely bonded to the POCO neutral. And my conduit on the load side of the meter is PVC. I was saying that in a hypothetical situation where the conduit from the meter pan is metal, there would be 2 locations of double termination, the meter pan, because of the conduit connecting the ground back to it, and the service entrance, where it is required by code.

It is more a point of interest, since I doubt a neutral/ground loop over such a short area is anything to cause concern.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
to Dennis: I had originally done that (4 wires), not realizing that my meter pan is more than likely bonded to the POCO neutral. And my conduit on the load side of the meter is PVC. I was saying that in a hypothetical situation where the conduit from the meter pan is metal, there would be 2 locations of double termination, the meter pan, because of the conduit connecting the ground back to it, and the service entrance, where it is required by code.

It is more a point of interest, since I doubt a neutral/ground loop over such a short area is anything to cause concern.

Boning at more than one location on the line side of the service disconnect is a result of using metal raceways. As Don said in post #10 this is permitted simply because it cannot be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.