Meter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a code requirement to install the meter can on the house? I would like to install a 400 amp service and take a 200 amp service to my house and another 200 amp service to my shop .

pete m.

It is not an NEC requirement to mount the meter on the structure served. You will want to check with your POCO and see if they have restrictions and/or regulations with location of the meter socket.

Pete

Mr. Pete

Thank you ! Now any advice on how to make the small town inspector believe this. I have talked to my power company Engineer and he said what I have done is great because I am going from a over head to a under ground service. Thanks

Buck Parrish

Is it a code requirement to install the meter can on the house? I would like to install a 400 amp service and take a 200 amp service to my house and another 200 amp service to my shop .

I don't see any thing wrong with it. As long as you have a 4- wire, (08)disconnects and grd. rods at the house.

Jim W in Tampa

Tell the inspector poco is ok with it and unless he can find a code number he best pass it. What your doing is not much differant than a mobile home. You will need 4 conductors and extra ground rods at house , pole and the other location.

charlie

. . . I would like to install a 400 amp service and take a 200 amp service to my house and another 200 amp service to my shop .
Assuming you are within the rules laid out by the serving electric utility for the rate for your shop (if you have too much commercial load, the rate will be different than the residential rate), you should be able to use 230.40 Exception 3 and save a bucket of money since you don't have to go through the rate steps twice, pay an additional meter charge, install a 400 ampere disconnecting means/overcurrent protection, and a grounding conductor to each building. :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is the goal of your installation scenario to eliminate the need for a CT cabinet and install 2-200amp meterpans?
What's wrong with a REsi 400 amp with 2 200 amp sub feeds. No special CT cabinet , meter an Mains all in one.

1 to go whoooooooooooo :grin:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is there a reason he has to run 4 wire? Can't he just put a 400A meter socket on a pole and run two 200A services out of it with 3 wires each (no disconnect at the meter)? At each building, you'll have a main Service disconnect and then have to use 4 wires for all feeders past that.

mcclary's electrical

Is there a reason he has to run 4 wire? Can't he just put a 400A meter socket on a pole and run two 200A services out of it with 3 wires each (no disconnect at the meter)? At each building, you'll have a main Service disconnect and then have to use 4 wires for all feeders past that.

That would be illegal. All services have to be grouped. In your case, they would not be grouped.

charlie

Good comment

Good comment

Is there a reason he has to run 4 wire? Can't he just put a 400A meter socket on a pole and run two 200A services out of it with 3 wires each (no disconnect at the meter)? . .
You are absolutely correct. Without a service (a meter is not a service, it is just a wide place in the conduit), there is no reason for a 4th conductor. The service disconnecting means and overcurrent protection may be installed at each building.
icon14.gif

Power Tech

Just did a job with a 400 amp panel. Backboard 200' from the house.

Square d has a meter service with 2, 200 amp breakers, one to go to the house and one for a distribution panel.

You could install another 200 or a push on.

I run a #4 ground wire to the house and separate neutrals and grounds. I have been told I do not have to do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.