Microwave circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALRinc

We have been installing dedicated 20 amp circuit to all kitchen remodels, new construction etc, & have been required in multiple jurisdictions to install gfi above the unit in cabinet, & was not able to find code article supporting this code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, the '17 Code clarified this situation.
In 210.8(A) GFCI is required for kitchen receptacles that are installed to serve the counter-top surfaces. '17 added wording :when determining the distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier or passing through a door, doorway, or window.

kwired

Electron manager
Is there a sink withing 6 feet?

If so, how to measure wasn't as clear before 2017 as Augie mentioned.

Otherwise outside being of within six feet of a sink, GFCI is not required for receptacles not serving countetops.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you asking about using an individual branch circuit for combo microwave/range hoods?

422.16(B)(4) Range Hoods. Range hoods shall be permitted to be
cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for use on range hoods in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord is terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed range hood distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its
equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord is not less than 450 mm (18 in.)
and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the
flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle is accessible.
(5) The receptacle is supplied by an individual branch
circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you asking about using an individual branch circuit for combo microwave/range hoods?

422.16(B)(4) Range Hoods. Range hoods shall be permitted to be
cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for use on range hoods in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord is terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed range hood distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its
equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord is not less than 450 mm (18 in.)
and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the
flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle is accessible.
(5) The receptacle is supplied by an individual branch
circuit.
That is something to have to think about with many of these, but he seemed to be asking if it needed to be GFCI protected.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
In a cabinet behind the door GFCI not required.

The NEC is a permissible code with minimum standards, which designs can exceed.

But our AHJ wont allow GFCI reset buttons behind cabinet doors. Not "readily accessible location" per First ¶ 210.8, until a written challenge prevailed for under-sink dishwasher plugs. Per 2014 NEC language, someone refused the Fuse-Box upgrade to accommodate GFCI breakers.

This senior planner continues to prohibit this practice unless challenged, to force Fuse-Box upgrades during kitchen remodels, and when our State adopts the 2017 NEC language in 210.8, challengers trying to avoid fuse box upgrades will no longer prevail.

Last edited:

JFletcher

We have always installed the receptacle for a permanently mounted microwave either in a cabinet above or to the left or right of the microwave, or in worst case, below the microwave. I do not believe you can mount a GFCI receptacle behind the microwave and still have it considered readily accessible. Virginia is on the 2012 IRC for one and two family residences, which is basically the 2011 NEC with certain modifications, notably in the absence of afci breakers for all but circuits serving bedroom outlets.

kwired

Electron manager

But our AHJ wont allow GFCI reset buttons behind cabinet doors. Not "readily accessible location" per First ¶ 210.8, until a written challenge prevailed for under-sink dishwasher plugs. Per 2014 NEC language, someone refused the Fuse-Box upgrade to accommodate GFCI breakers.

This senior planner continues to prohibit this practice unless challenged, to force Fuse-Box upgrades during kitchen remodels, and when our State adopts the 2017 NEC language in 210.8, challengers trying to avoid fuse box upgrades will no longer prevail.
AFCI requirements make the fuse box upgrade issue more of a practical thing to do. GFCI doesn't have to be at the breaker. AFCI - kind of does if a new circuit is run, but one can also run it from a "sub panel" even if that new sub only contains just one circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
We have always installed the receptacle for a permanently mounted microwave either in a cabinet above or to the left or right of the microwave, or in worst case, below the microwave. I do not believe you can mount a GFCI receptacle behind the microwave and still have it considered readily accessible. Virginia is on the 2012 IRC for one and two family residences, which is basically the 2011 NEC with certain modifications, notably in the absence of afci breakers for all but circuits serving bedroom outlets.
Nearly all "fastened in place" microwaves are the range hood combination type units. I have never seen one that doesn't have the cord out the top and is intended to plug into a receptacle in a cabinet above the unit.

GFCI requirements only got confusing on this one when they change the rules to make all receptacles within 6 feet of a sink required to be GFCI protected. Then 2017 clarified what is considered within six feet of a sink. As long as the cabinet has a door with receptacle inside - they don't intend this receptacle to require GFCI protection even if near a sink.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What section of the code requires a dedicated microwave circuit (for one in a cabinet, not countertop)? I don't see a mention of "microwave oven" anywhere.

I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island. Not one that could ever be swapped for a microwave/hood combo. Can this hood be on the SABC? Can this hood be on a "dedicated" circuit with the microwave?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What section of the code requires a dedicated microwave circuit (for one in a cabinet, not countertop)? I don't see a mention of "microwave oven" anywhere.

I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island. Not one that could ever be swapped for a microwave/hood combo. Can this hood be on the SABC? Can this hood be on a "dedicated" circuit with the microwave?

Post #4 has the code reference for the hood.

kwired

Electron manager

Post #4 has the code reference for the hood.
Microwave and range hood combination sort of makes the "range hood" component kick in the requirements mentioned in post 4.

Maybe even better question is what if a microwave and range hood combination isn't installed over a range or cooktop? I have run into that a few times. All were before content in post 4 was included in code. I ran 20 amp branch circuit with single outlet anyway (ok a single duplex outlet)- seemed to be good design decision at the time.

Coppersmith -your hardwired range hood can't be on with SABC's. It could be on with a microwave that is not intended to plug into a receptacle required to be on the SABC's, such as one on a shelf in a cabinet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

As Kwired pointed out the requirement may be different for a range hood with a cord and plug connection. I missed the part about being hardwired.

ramsy

Occupation
..I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island..

Hardwired whips are a violation of 422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances, unless fuse box disconnect is within sight, or special lockable circuit breakers are installed.

kwired

Electron manager
Hardwired whips are a violation of 422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances, unless fuse box disconnect is within sight, or special lockable circuit breakers are installed.
Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA and branch circuit device (without locking provisions) is acceptable for the disconnecting means.

ramsy

Occupation
Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA and branch circuit device (without locking provisions) is acceptable for the disconnecting means.

Disconnect must be within sight, regardless of wattage. Better fix all your residential-kitchen misdeeds.

Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA..

Microwave under 300 VA ?

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

What AHJ is this. Never heard of this.

ramsy

Occupation
What AHJ is this. Never heard of this.

Santa Ana, CA senior planner, and Education Chair for Orange Empire Division IAEI, provides the mandatory continuing-education units for several municipal-inspection departments. He is one of the best, and cities send their inspectors from all over the Los Angles basin.

http://www.iaei.org/web/orangeempire
As of 4/16/18 the education notes for NEC Art. 422 are still published on home page.

The monthly meetings are attended by ~50 people, combination inspectors, contractors, Utility, NRTL, & OSHA reps. I've been an attending member for ~10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.