Microwave circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sierra Sparky belly aches about attending the Continuing Education Units (CEU) provided at his local IAEI meetings or elsewhere, because its not mandated for Licensed-Electrical contractors in our State, but we both know without it reasonable people can't be expected to master 900+ pages of this code, much less depend on a journeymen who's getting laid off next week.

Oh so you are a Mavin or have personal knowledge as to how much CEU I have. I usually get about 30 hours per year of non-required CEU. I took 3 classes on code updates recently.
Some where online, however I bet you don't think that Qualifies.

Besides do you want to go down this road. You don't have a current journeyman's card according to the DIR website nor do you have a Contractors license. You did have a JC but you let it lapse.

Guys, please stop with the personal "gouges".

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
No I wouldn't. I would rather install one of those breaker lockouts than make up a recep, cord and cap. IMO its cheaper and quicker.

No such animal exists for all breaker brands, Quads, Twins, Pushmatic, much less AFCI breakers, or Duel Functions for that hardwired Dishwasher?

kwired

Electron manager
Would you agree the cord & plug microwave disconnect is less trouble than hardwired, since you don't need to carry around lock kits in your truck(s).

I've never seen a MW that didn't come with an attached cord and plug, counter-top or above-range.
I agree when it comes to what you would find in a typical dwelling. Something you are more likely to find in a commercial setting could come without a cord and have option to install a cord or hard wire it. When I first mentioned less then 300 VA or 1/8 HP I was mostly thinking typical residential range hood with no microwave. Those were and still are usually hard wired. Though even with the 2017 change - many have unit switches that meet qualifications so still not really a problem.

No such animal exists for all breaker brands, Quads, Twins, Pushmatic, much less AFCI breakers, or Duel Functions for that hardwired Dishwasher?
Eaton has them for both their lines - they work on AFCI/GFCI's so does Square D on both their lines. Not familiar with GE or Siemens, but willing to bet they have them also. You do have to buy the one that fits whatever it is you have.

Those universal handle locks that fit most anything don't meet requirements of 110.25

Retired items like Pushmatic, FPE, Zinsco, etc. - probably better off to plan to use some other method. If at a dwelling, chances are you are already looking for other methods because of AFCI rules and no AFCI breakers to fit your panel.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I don't follow your reasoning. Why are you so against these things? One could say the same thing about circuit breakers when adding or changing an appliance.

If your inspectors like locks, 1 brand pad lock works with all brand fuse-box doors, regardless of breaker configurations.

kwired

Electron manager
Where in the NEC does it say that you can put a padlock on the panel door to comply with the locking disconnect requirements?
An enclosure with a single breaker inside -maybe. Seems logical you could, but yet NEC wording doesn't really clearly state it is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.