Mini-split A/C install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Wherever you run your Freon lines, run your electrical alongside it
Supply circuit likely needs to go some other direction or at least beyond the inside unit.
I think on these kind of units the freon does not have to go outside at all. It goes from the part that is outside to the part that is inside through a hole in the wall.
??

It has to go to the outdoor unit and then back through the second tube to the indoor unit(s), it is a closed loop system.

kwired

Electron manager
There is a crawl space but it is very difficult to get at
But can it be "fished"?

I've shoved PVC pipe across crawlspaces and attics that I can't crawl through many times. Might use it just for it's rigidness and pull it back out or shove it in and use it to pull through - depends on situation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
But can it be "fished"?

I've shoved PVC pipe across crawlspaces and attics that I can't crawl through many times. Might use it just for it's rigidness and pull it back out or shove it in and use it to pull through - depends on situation.
The plumbers once ran a water line that way through the crawl space. I suppose it could be done. The guy I talked to did not seem to think much of the idea though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am not sure exactly what he had in mind but I suspect his plan was more to pull it behind the siding than to try and stuff it up there.

Yeah, good luck with that. He sounds like the kind of HVAC guy that needs to stick to HVAC and stay away from electrical.

Sounds good to me. Done it plenty of times too. I don't think your HVAC guy wants to crawl in there.

-Hal

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Both the compressor (the outside part) and the evaporator (the inside part) need power. Most you can feed the incoming power to either end and send it through to (with the freon pipes) to the other.

Note the disconnect requirements inherent in light of this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Both the compressor (the outside part) and the evaporator (the inside part) need power. Most you can feed the incoming power to either end and send it through to (with the freon pipes) to the other.

Yes, no, maybe.... you need to read NC interpretations. A mini split is considered one unit and therefore the outside unit gets fed and no need for a disconnect on the inside unit unless the manufacturer requires it.... This is NC interpretation-- I believe other states are going that way also.

NC Interpretations

This is for the mini split

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
PVC is code compliant to use, but for horizontal runs on walls above ground, it gets saggy and looks horrible and not very professional IMHO.
Has anyone used the new fiberglass conduit? The mfg says it has a much greater span ability between supports than PVC, shouldn't get saggy.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, no, maybe.... you need to read NC interpretations. A mini split is considered one unit and therefore the outside unit gets fed and no need for a disconnect on the inside unit unless the manufacturer requires it.... This is NC interpretation-- I believe other states are going that way also.

NC Interpretations

This is for the mini split

IMO NEC alone (no other AHJ explanations needed) requires a disconnect at the outdoor unit of a minisplit - outdoor unit is an art 440 application but:

Indoor unit is not a 440 application - does not contain a hermetic compressor. Instead is just a motor operated appliance so we need to look at 422 for requirements. I have never seen one that is larger than 1/8 HP or 300 VA, if it would have resistance heat that would be the exception, don't think I've seen that either in a "minisplit" though. That small capacity of a unit doesn't require disconnecting means within sight of the appliance

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

No. I've never seen a split system where you can feed power to the indoor unit. Power is provided to the outdoor condensing unit through a disconnect. Then a two or three conductor cable (UF or TC) is run from the condenser to the indoor unit along with the service lines. That cable provides power and control to the indoor unit.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No. I've never seen a split system where you can feed power to the indoor unit. Power is provided to the outdoor condensing unit through a disconnect. Then a two or three conductor cable (UF or TC) is run from the condenser to the indoor unit along with the service lines. That cable provides power and control to the indoor unit.
Agreed, especially systems with multiple room units like the one I recently fed a 30a circuit to.

Status
Not open for further replies.