Multiple occupancy dwelling grounding electrode conductor termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes I am, just didn't want there to be any doubt. :)

Roger
Well for the sake of the matter, let's look at the pertinent text...

230.7 Other Conductors in Raceway or Cable. Conductors other than service conductors shall not be installed in the same service raceway or service cable.

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices. Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

230.7 explicitly states other conductors in same "service raceway or service cable". This indicates to me that the explicit purpose of the raceway or cable is to contain service conductor. A panelboard containing the service disconnecting means is not dedicated solely to being a service raceway.

312.8 is about maintaining adequate space for conductors pertinent to the enclosure... not that you absolutely can't use the enclosure for feeding [service?] conductors through it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A panelboard containing the service disconnecting means is not dedicated solely to being a service raceway.
And if the problem conductors terminated on this disconnecting means instead of passing through there would be no issue.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Well for the sake of the matter, let's look at the pertinent text...

230.7 explicitly states other conductors in same "service raceway or service cable". This indicates to me that the explicit purpose of the raceway or cable is to contain service conductor. A panelboard containing the service disconnecting means is not dedicated solely to being a service raceway.

312.8 is about maintaining adequate space for conductors pertinent to the enclosure... not that you absolutely can't use the enclosure for feeding [service?] conductors through it.
I agree with you. I don't like the installation but can't find any section that prohibits it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.