NEC silent on color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

To clarify, up through the 1999, gray was officially an ungrounded color. In 2002, gray officially became a grounded color.

I was taught to use gray for 277V circuit neutrals, but my entire career thus far has taken place from 2005 to the present, so any previous iterations of the code are completely foreign to me :p

Volta

So we agree its a design issue not a code issue.
But it is a safety issue, agree?

Not really. Finding an "identified" conductor (white or gray), or an EGC (green) being used as an ungrounded (hot) conductor, that's a safety issue.

Using a 'hot' as a 'hot', not so much.

Perhaps a 70E issue?:confused:

Since 70E doesn't even trust that a disconnect works as intended, I don't think we could be expected to trust that a color of wire carries a particular voltage.

You could still run all blacks for your low voltage and all reds for your high voltage, but you'd have to mark them somehow at all terminations, connections, splices etc.

YES

(C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination, connection, and splice points. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. The method utilized for conductors originating within each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

I missed by phase meaning A, B, C need to have different colors for both systems

My call on the transformer photo is the phase or line has been identified BUT the system (voltage) has not been identified at all terminations, connections and splice points. Thoughts?

I was taught to use gray for 277V circuit neutrals, but my entire career thus far has taken place from 2005 to the present, so any previous iterations of the code are completely foreign to me :p

Wait until you find an ungrounded gray then.........

Ericsherman.,

Just trust us we have a hidden rules we always follow .,,

Test ., Test ., Test the system to verify the correct voltage no matter what colour conductor it will be show there.

I am with 480Sparky I have see ungrounded grey conductor allready in both USA and in France so it not a amusing to see it so the the rules will apply to both side just one statement it will click in your mind.,,

test, test, test and verify it.

I have see much crazy colour format in Europe I think I did wrote the part of European colours codes it kinda nutty as well.

Merci,Marc

P.S. if you want the European colour codes let me know I will post it for ya.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sometimes I think you guys live in dream worlds, but I know better. You have all seen, I hope, installations in the real world where every color under the Sun is used with no discretion as to voltage or system. We are currently doing work at small industrials where there is no way to install a sign that indicates sytem or voltage by color. It would create more of a danger than help.

As stated even green or white is used as phase conductors. Never trust any color, especially in older buildings.

Dave58er

Mixed139-1.jpg

I've got to confess ignorance here. Functionally what is happening in this box?
Originally I thought this was a corner grounded delta and they taped the B phase green because it was grounded.

The pigtail lights being there for ground fault identification.

But this is a 4 wire service(?) so that wouldn't be a corner grounded delta would it?

So what are the lights and small wires doing? :confused:

And what is the larger black wire coming from the top that attaches to the neutral block? GEC maybe?

And the bare wire wrapped around the screw?

russ

In Chicago there is a color code requirement. Away from that, For most jobs especially the larger ones, code, or not it makes trouble shooting a bit easier, as long as your consistent. It's no different than color coding your conduit systems. It's there if you want to use it.
I don't see how we would see a color code with the use of NM being so limited in color.
In conduit it's not so hard to do.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Originally I thought this was a corner grounded delta and they taped the B phase green because it was grounded.
My guess - no orange tape. A color is a color. :roll:

The pigtail lights being there for ground fault identification.
Pigtail light? The rubber socket being used as a fuseholder?

But this is a 4 wire service(?) so that wouldn't be a corner grounded delta would it?
No, and the corner ground should be colored white, not green.

So what are the lights and small wires doing? :confused:
It looks like the breaker is a shunt-trip, and the small wires are the shunt-trip circuit. See the two small wires behind the lower-left lug (L1 load)?

And what is the larger black wire coming from the top that attaches to the neutral block? GEC maybe?
I believe so.

And the bare wire wrapped around the screw?
EGC of the cable containing the black and white wires coming down from the top. Should have used a lug and machine screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.