Negative Pf residential Home

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
  • Did they recheck the current on the neutral now that transformer has been replaced? - YES
  • Does the utility use TWACS metering? - NO
  • Do the lights still flicker after transformer has been replaced? - YES
  • Do the lights still flicker with incandescent bulbs? - DID NOT TEST THIS THOUGHT.
Ok thanks.
Is there still 5-10 amps on the neutral with the main breaker off?
And still current on GEC with main breaker off?

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Test...
All L2 circuits Off
L1 = 10A
L2 = 0
N = 10A

All L1 circuits Off
L1 = 0A
L2 = 10A
N = 10A

One 20A branch circuit on L2 On
L1 = 10A
L2 = .5
N = 10.5A <----- Shouldn't this be 9.5A?

Current Reading at time of typing:
L1 = 1.1A
L2 = 5.6A
N = 5.5A <---- ??

synchro

Occupation
EE
If you can, I suggest putting a clamp meter on the L1 and L2 conductors together, in addition to your L1, L2, and N measurements. The line side of the L1 and L2 conductors should be on the same side of the clamp opening.

If possible, you could also put the clamp around all three conductors L1, L2, and N, and then see what you get.

Preferably, you would make some measurements with significant currents (say around 10A) on both L1 and L2, but the currents wouldn't need to match.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Test...
All L2 circuits Off
L1 = 10A
L2 = 0
N = 10A

All L1 circuits Off
L1 = 0A
L2 = 10A
N = 10A

One 20A branch circuit on L2 On
L1 = 10A
L2 = .5
N = 10.5A <----- Shouldn't this be 9.5A?

Current Reading at time of typing:
L1 = 1.1A
L2 = 5.6A
N = 5.5A <---- ??
is the 10A from the same load?

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
If you can, I suggest putting a clamp meter on the L1 and L2 conductors together, in addition to your L1, L2, and N measurements. The line side of the L1 and L2 conductors should be on the same side of the clamp opening.

If possible, you could also put the clamp around all three conductors L1, L2, and N, and then see what you get.

Preferably, you would make some measurements with significant currents (say around 10A) on both L1 and L2, but the currents wouldn't need to match.
Will do...

JEDDY

New User
Occupation
HVACR/Electrical troubleshooting.
Just wanted to say, The Refrigerator sounds like it is stuck in a defrost cycle. This may have an electric defrost element that is staying on too long and spoiling the food quite fast.
Sorry such a late reply I just joined. I like to read the Forums when I get Mike's news letter.