New refrigerator trips AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
…shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI at the first outlet..

AFCI protection of the branch circuit is still required, just not that portion in the raceways listed.
Fuse panel to the first outlet in conduit, then AFCI. We put them next to the fuse panel then NM from there to wherever.

The only reason code mandated AFCIs because of an unreasonable value of 500 amps (0.25ohm Ze) was assumed common at the main panel. OP, this may help:

1627779776612.png

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
The house is brand new , power was turned on Friday, it's on an Island over 100 miles from me . The homeowner has done nothing except plug the refrigerator into various properly protected receptacle outlets. I will not remove the AFCI and already told him so . This stance does not go over well with any customer that I have and I have lost customers over this incompatibility issue. I'm hoping beyond hope that after running for 48 hours something warmed up or dried out or some little compatibility fairy showed up and made the problem go away . I remember something about ; "The practical safe guarding..." This is way beyond that and should be but , I'm almost certain , won't be addressed , $$$ has too big an influence.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Siemens has a group that will look at specific appliances and address issues with their AFCIs. I did have the contact # and will try to locate it but you might check with your Siemens distributor.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
The house is brand new , power was turned on Friday, it's on an Island over 100 miles from me . The homeowner has done nothing except plug the refrigerator into various properly protected receptacle outlets. I will not remove the AFCI and already told him so . This stance does not go over well with any customer that I have and I have lost customers over this incompatibility issue. I'm hoping beyond hope that after running for 48 hours something warmed up or dried out or some little compatibility fairy showed up and made the problem go away . I remember something about ; "The practical safe guarding..." This is way beyond that and should be but , I'm almost certain , won't be addressed , $$$ has too big an influence.

I’ve received faulty AFCI’s before. Something worth checking.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Tell us how that solves the OPs issue.

It doesn’t. He thinks a tmag breaker and AFCI are the same and affords the same level of protection even though they trip on completely different principles. He’s ignoring how the world works to push his point of view. He’s convinced everyone has it wrong except him. You won’t get anything useful out of that kind of mindset.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yawwwn....
yeah, this is a typical AFCI thread, the electrician has not been back to the job yet, we have no photos not even the make / model of the fridge.
The only troubleshooting has been done by a homeowner.
I have had zero AFCI trips in the last 7-8 years that were not wiring errors using sq D home line, FWIW.
Yep same here with SQD and Siemens, Ill add poor quality defective appliances to the trip list.

WIFI GFCI, anyone?

Larry thats interesting might be worth haveing a few on the van for swapping in to shoot troubble.

kwired

Electron manager
Yawwwn....
yeah, this is a typical AFCI thread, the electrician has not been back to the job yet, we have no photos not even the make / model of the fridge.
The only troubleshooting has been done by a homeowner.

Yep same here with SQD and Siemens, Ill add poor quality defective appliances to the trip list.

Larry thats interesting might be worth haveing a few on the van for swapping in to shoot troubble.
Who is the bad guy to the HO when their expensive refrigerator works fine on a non AFCI protected circuit yet the EC has been out there many times checking out all he can on that refrigerator circuit, maybe replacing the AFCI a couple different times and on top of that the appliance store claims there is nothing wrong with it or even sends out a replacement unit and same tripping still happens? Guess how much the EC got reimbursed for all his trouble for something that wasn't his fault? Can quadruple his reimbursement and he is still unhappy because 4 x 0 is still 0.

Until the appliance manufacturers and AFCI manufacturers are on same page the EC is still the bad guy in all these cases.

Anything with VFD type of motor control is subject to cause problems with both AFCI and GFCI's. Had a washer that wouldn't hold on a GFCI, plugged into a two -three wire cheater adapter and it worked fine, so figured definitely a ground fault type issue. Noticed it would fill but the moment it would start to turn the drum is when it tripped every time. Took back panel off the machine and eventually discovered they have a ground isolation switch that closes when the back cover is removed that isolates the EGC from the motor and any electrically continuous items connected to the motor. Those items remain isolated from human touch as long as the cover is on, and the reason for the switch I guess. My problem was the mounting provisions of that switch was broke and therefore it was not being actuated when the cover is on. So in that case the manufacturer did do something to play better with AFCI/GFCI's but how many appliance repair guys would know what is going on here and tell the customer they need an electrician, then the electrician tells them the appliance has a problem unless it is someone like me that knows if they don't find the problem they will be labeled incompetent. Then I can turn around and prove to them it was the appliance guy that was incompetent if I can pinpoint the problem to be within the appliance.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Who is the bad guy
Its always our fault.
yet the EC has been out there many times checking out
EC in this thread has not been back to the jobsite.
We have no photos
We dont even know the model of the fridge.
Had a washer that wouldn't hold on a GFCI, plugged into a two -three wire cheater adapter and it worked fine,
How many volts were between the frame and known good EGG with the adapter?
seems like we should be keeping a sticky thread of known appliances that do this.

synchro

Occupation
EE
WIFI GFCI, anyone?

Leviton AFCI and dual function circuit breakers can also be tripped remotely via the My Leviton app, as well as providing diagnostic info. It seems like that could be an attractive target for hackers. And so electricians might get calls for "nuisance" breaker tripping that's really from hacking of the homeowner's LAN, and it would be more likely in those with poor security.

Status
Not open for further replies.