Ok inspectors, answer this one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

I have a friend that I helped wire his home. He had a rough inspection today. The meter can is set, so he also was going for permanant power. All went well (he passed with a couple of things that need to be done, missed one box that need grounds made up and a staple or two misising), but the inspector claimed he needed a floor receptacle in the upstairs hall way. Now the hallway is about 7-8 feet wide. There is a receptacle in the hallway. The stairs come up and land in the hallway. The stairs make the hallway an extra 4 feet wider. The hand rail for the open stairwell runs most of the length of the hallway. The inspector said that due to the excessive wideness of the hall way, it needs a floor receptacle next to the stair railing.

I am not aware of a code requiring this. For what it is worth, this is a 2003 IRC/ 2002 NEC installation. To my knowledge, hallways only require one receptacle.

Input????

c2500

JohnJ0906

At least 1 receptalce required for hallways 10 feet or more. (210.52(H) in 2002 NEC)

Width of the hall isn't mentioned.

Inspector is wrong. (Assuming no local amendments)

c2500

JohnJ0906 said:
At least 1 receptalce required for hallways 10 feet or more. (210.52(H) in 2002 NEC)

Width of the hall isn't mentioned.

Inspector is wrong. (Assuming no local amendments)

Yep, thats what I thought/know.

In defense of the inspector (although I am not saying that he is correct, that maybe he is correct)

Without us saying that anyone is wrong or right, maybe the space is large enough that he is not considering it a hallway and he deems the area a "room" that needs receptacles.

Without us being able to see the space/hallway it is hard for us to determine what he is looking at.

I have seen an inspector or two who see large hallways and ask for additional receptacles. If the prints show it as a hallway, all I can say is show him the actual code wording, maybe he needs a little help.

c2500

Pierre C Belarge said:
In defense of the inspector (although I am not saying that he is correct, that maybe he is correct)

Without us saying that anyone is wrong or right, maybe the space is large enough that he is not considering it a hallway and he deems the area a "room" that needs receptacles.

Without us being able to see the space/hallway it is hard for us to determine what he is looking at.

I have seen an inspector or two who see large hallways and ask for additional receptacles. If the prints show it as a hallway, all I can say is show him the actual code wording, maybe he needs a little help.

Pierre,

I am not being critical of the inspector. I really like the guy, as I have found him to be fair yet rigid (I have had to fix things that I did not do, but they should have been fixed, so I had to agree with his assessment) The prints make it a hallway. It is obvious it is a hallway when you get to it in the house. I am just curious if there is something I have missed in the code.

c2500

stickboy1375

Pierre C Belarge said:

How do you feel about foyers? Receptacles required or not? Because this is what the OP seems to be describing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"The prints make it a hallway.". In this case, he propably should go with the "no receptace" as the prints pretty well C-his-A.
Most of my residences have no prints and this is situation is, to me, sometimes, a difficult call. In a situation such as yours, when the hall is "extra wide", it's easy to envision the present or future homeowner placing a piece of furniture with lamp, etc , or a decorative piece needing light, if those items wouldn't block the "hall" walkway.
I understand we don't enforce "what ifs", but if there is no definite means (such as plans) to call that area a "hall", I would possibly make the same call.
In thsi case, sight unseen, but trying to envision, I think I would explain why I would think it a good idea, and encourage, but not require.

Last edited:
c2500 said:
Pierre,

I am not being critical of the inspector. I really like the guy, as I have found him to be fair yet rigid (I have had to fix things that I did not do, but they should have been fixed, so I had to agree with his assessment) The prints make it a hallway. It is obvious it is a hallway when you get to it in the house. I am just curious if there is something I have missed in the code.

c2500

I didn't think you were being critical of the inspector. Just that sometimes from reading a post it is not always cut and dry what the poster actually is seeing.

There are times when pictures help - okay maybe not. :wink:
balconyrailing2.jpg

Rail-WallSpace.jpg

cadpoint

Look up the word Ante, but I'm really with Gus on this. If the hallway is now a corridor and items can be placed, wow tough call : )

e57

Pierre C Belarge said:

Using this logic - a closet is a room

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
If it is not labeled on the prints, maybe so.:grin:
I've seen extra bedrooms on prints labeled "library", "den", "study", etc. The people were really just up to some funny business to keep certain fees related to the number of bedrooms down. If it quacks like a bedroom, I wire it like a bedroom. The low bidder would wire it like a library, den, or study.

quogueelectric

Pierre C Belarge said:
That is in the building code, I have been referencing the "bust your chops" code. :grin:
Allways a pleasure to have my chops busted by someone as stand up as you. Good company to be in even if we dissagree sometimes.

quogueelectric

I have seen many architects set up a small apartment within a house and hide the stove wiring behind sheetrock Full 2 bedroom appartments yet without the stove it is a pantry. With the stove wiring clearly on the electrical drawings yet hidden for final inspection behind sheetrock until all the inspectors go away.

mdshunk

quogueelectric said:
I have seen many architects set up a small apartment within a house and hide the stove wiring behind sheetrock Full 2 bedroom appartments yet without the stove it is a pantry. With the stove wiring clearly on the electrical drawings yet hidden for final inspection behind sheetrock until all the inspectors go away.
I know that as a 'mother in law suite'. There's no law that says you can't have more than one kitchen. Matter of fact, many wet bar areas are full-blown kitchens now. People who do canning often have a second kitchen too.

Robertb

CT Inspector

CT Inspector

As an Inspector in CT I have to go by the prints. Upon Inspection and the area is listed as a Playroom, game room, storage, study whatever i have to go by the stamped documents. Even after seeing bunk beds, exercise equipment whatever in the area and common sense tells me otherwise my hands are tied.Where does the Master Bedroom start at the doorway that has 2 walk in closets and a Master bath or after that??
I cannot call them a liar. People do this to save on taxes and the contractors also do not explain the ramifications and/or safety of proper code compliance.
The NEC is the bare minimum. Why try to cheat on the safety of all involved??

Status
Not open for further replies.