Ok inspectors, answer this one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

r_merc said:
Playing devils advocate here. Put in the floor box. I know what the code says about hallways but this one looks like you can put a nice little nick-nack table there with a table lamp. That banister is a wall and needs to have the minimum required receptacles. $30 for a carlon floor box, some wire and your done with it.
The architect did not do an electrical design. So technically I am the electrical designer. My mental plan called for the code minimum one receptacle. Conveniently placed where the HO's wife said she would put a piece of furniture. I am going to add it. As I originally posted, I wanted to make sure I had not missed something in the code.

As for the nick nack table with a lamp, I can see that falling over the railing and breaking on the stairs. Then the HO gets mad at me, we dissolve our friendship, and I get sued.:grin:

c2500

Last edited by a moderator:

r_merc

Code wise I don't think you missed anything if the plans say it a hallway. I think the inspector is looking at it as wall space. So go to him with the approved plans and show hime its a hallway and then the discussion should be over. If it isnt on the plans then the AHJ will have the final call.

Rick

electricmanscott

r_merc said:
Playing devils advocate here. Put in the floor box. I know what the code says about hallways but this one looks like you can put a nice little nick-nack table there with a table lamp. That banister is a wall and needs to have the minimum required receptacles. $30 for a carlon floor box, some wire and your done with it.

Would YOU pay for this out of YOUR pocket?

I don't disagree at all that a receptacle there could be beneficial but I am not buying it and there is no code to back up the inspector who is requiring it.

electricmanscott

r_merc said:
Code wise I don't think you missed anything if the plans say it a hallway. I think the inspector is looking at it as wall space. So go to him with the approved plans and show hime its a hallway and then the discussion should be over. If it isnt on the plans then the AHJ will have the final call.

Rick

If the inspector has to look at the plans to tell him that's a hallway it might be time to hang up the magnifying glass.

r_merc

Sometimes it comes down to cost. Sometimes down to time. Will it cost more to argue with this man and delay the job or to go get the Floor box off of the truck. (I carry them). What does it cost to go to his office to argue the point. Usually that is more expensive. It also comes down to knowing your customer. If it is in the inspections report explain to them the involved costs. Your time and effort to argue or what the direct cost is T&M. Let them decide how to spend thier money. I didn't say you should absorb the cost.

I have some builders who would rather pay me to make the change that day so it can pass so Insulation can be installed and drywall stocked in the house.

I will argue my point with an inspector when I feel that they have stepped totally out of bounds but sometimes I just get it done so that the project can move along.

If you think you must make a stand on this point and have the time available to you. Go for it. Inspectors make mistakes and so do we.

r_merc

electricmanscott said:
If the inspector has to look at the plans to tell him that's a hallway it might be time to hang up the magnifying glass.

My neck of the woods approved stamped plans are the gold standard. Otherwise its the AHJ's interpretation.

Rick

c2500

The inspector passed the installation. So that is not an issue. He just ask that this be done. As previously stated, I just wanted to make sure I had not over looked something in the code. I do not do electrical work day in/day out.

c2500

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bradleyelectric said:
ah! that's why you had a recessed light on the floor in the hallway instead of the required floor box!! ;)
Hey! Maybe there's a receptacle in the ceiling above the railing. :roll: See it?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brother said:
I do not like receptacles installed face up in a dwelling. too much junk gets in them. I wouldve not installed one unless it was a code issue.
Maybe they can add a backsplash to the bannister.

electricmanscott

stickboy1375 said:
You already met code with a receptacle in the wall, nothing more needs to be done.

That is the bottom line and it really is that simple. (For most of us)

It is more than annoying when an inspector causes an unwarranted headache like this. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.