Ok inspectors, answer this one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

Absolutely not in my neck of the woods only ONE kitchen per residence and the stove defines it as a kitchen there is no canning being done on these 10-50 million dollar oceanfront homes. The apartments are for the hired help like the butler maid cheaufer.

JohnJ0906

Pierre C Belarge said:
There are times when pictures help - okay maybe not. :wink:
balconyrailing2.jpg

I think this is a spot where a receptacle is a good idea. But not required.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mdshunk said:
I've seen extra bedrooms on prints labeled "library", "den", "study", etc. The people were really just up to some funny business to keep certain fees related to the number of bedrooms down. If it quacks like a bedroom, I wire it like a bedroom. The low bidder would wire it like a library, den, or study.

I realize wiring a house is small scale and doing as you say is not that much expense but, when bidding jobs in the hundreds of thousands or millions, you want to be the low bidder, and to be the low bidder you would bid per the plans and specifications.

So, if we say this scenario is multiple condos and the prints include libraries, den, studies, etc, the job would be bid and probably wired as shown.

BTW, Pierre please re-size your pictures to something along the lines of 600 x 450 before posting them.

Something like this.

balconyrailing2.jpg

Roger

Last edited:

r_merc

All I can think of is that this inspector is seeing this as a room because of its width & length and is adding a requiremnet that isnt there about minimum receptacle spacing
Rick

iwire

Staff member
electricmanscott said:
Back to the OP....Rather than specualte with all the what if's I'll just answer the question as asked.

I think the basic message is never question an inspector, there are always possible reasons why he is right. :roll: :roll:

The pictures I showed in this thread were not the result of an inspection by me. They are pictures of what the electrician installed before I was there for the inspection. Both of the locations are much larger than a typical hall would be and furniture was being placed there by the owners, hence the placement of the floor receptacles by the EC. I also like the pictures as an example of receptacle placement when railings are involved.

My comments are mostly directed towards the premise that what one person posts as his/her thoughts does not necessarily translate to what we as the readers/responders see in our minds. With that said, it is hard to make a bonifide decision or help the OP in regards to what they are questioning. We just add our opinions here, all of us.

I show the pictures I post to help people see what may be happening in relation to size and space and how some can interpret things differently.

c2500

stickboy1375 said:
Might want to add one more staple on that 12-2 also... ;)

You know, I tried to get an angle that would provide the least avenue for a critique, and obviously failed miserably. That was the HO's fault anyway. I was there for information and moral support.:grin:

r_merc

Playing devils advocate here. Put in the floor box. I know what the code says about hallways but this one looks like you can put a nice little nick-nack table there with a table lamp. That banister is a wall and needs to have the minimum required receptacles. $30 for a carlon floor box, some wire and your done with it.

OK what does it say on the prints.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.