Pendant hung receptacle box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl H

Does anyone know of a "Listed" pendent hung receptacle box?

Example: Hanger bar attached to a ceiling grid, four square box with a
5/8" mud ring protruding thru a ceiling tile, a kellum grip attached to
a single gang stainless steel blank plate supporting a 12/3 SO with another
Kellum grip attached to a "Listed" duplex pendant hung receptacle box?

I don't want a cord reel, I need a suspended receptacle above a lab bench.
A standard metal 4 sq isn't listed to be pendant hung as far as I know.
I do not have a reference to that, just an aging memory of something I
read or think I've read. :)

I would love a code art that deals with pendant hung recepts but I can't
seem to find one.

Thanks for any help with this.

cadpoint

The box and the cross bar should both be rated for ceiling work a combined assembly is just that!

A fan assembly in most cases are flush mounted by design, there are secondary bolts for the chassie weight.

Code By others! :)

btharmy

Install a fx box with 3/4" hub on the end of the cable with a kellum connector. Use a 2 gang ring and stainless plate on the box in the ceiling. I say 2 gang so there are 4 screws holding the cover in place as opposed to just 2 with a single gang cover. I know there are only 2 screws securing the mud ring but they are 8-32, not 6-32 like the cover screws. You might look into using a 2gang deep handy box. That eliminates the mud ring all together. Attach the stainless plate directly to the box. As far as support of the assembly, you're going to get LOTS of input. I'm sure the stainless plate isn't "listed" to support a cord drop. Will it work? Yes. Does it look like a nice finished install? Yes. Will others say "but thats not listed for the purpose? Yes. Will the inspector pass it? That's what matters. The fact that it looks good and does the job doesn't hurt either. Just be sure to add some additional support to your bracket above the ceiling by either gripple cable or ceiling wire.

Last edited:

Karl H

Thanks for the replies! I went with K&H part # PT4501-DDN.
Thats just the box and receptacle plates. They cost me $27.78
each.

The ART# was 314.23(H) (1) (2008) not 314.24. :)

btharmy

Cast fs boxes DO have threaded hubs. The threads are suitable for support. I don't see why it matters if the box is supported by the threaded hub on the end of a piece of rigid, or on the end of a cord. The stainless cover (which is suspect anyway) will no doubt fail before the 3/4" threaded hub does. I know there are a handfull of people that will frown on this then there are lots who have either seen it done or done it themselves. I honestly thought more about the support method used for the entire assembly, the right vs. wrong way to hang such an assembly from ceiling grid, than the recept on the end of the cord.

I am curious what others use on the end of the cord if fs boxes won't pass for legal. Does anyone have a link. Thanks.

While were at it, the cord itself, what type? Didn't see it mentioned. Some just use s.o. while others use buss drop cord. Any thoughts.

wireguru

Cast fs boxes DO have threaded hubs. The threads are suitable for support. I don't see why it matters if the box is supported by the threaded hub on the end of a piece of rigid, or on the end of a cord. The stainless cover (which is suspect anyway) will no doubt fail before the 3/4" threaded hub does. I know there are a handfull of people that will frown on this then there are lots who have either seen it done or done it themselves. I honestly thought more about the support method used for the entire assembly, the right vs. wrong way to hang such an assembly from ceiling grid, than the recept on the end of the cord.

I am curious what others use on the end of the cord if fs boxes won't pass for legal. Does anyone have a link. Thanks.

While were at it, the cord itself, what type? Didn't see it mentioned. Some just use s.o. while others use buss drop cord. Any thoughts.

here is an example of the proper box http://ericson.thomasnet.com/category/non-metalic-portable-outlet-boxes

Karl H

Regarding threaded hubs. What is to prevent the connector from becoming
loose over time, eventually leading to the box being supported by the exposed
conductors? It seems, a listed pendant hung box with threaded hubs,
would also contain a set-screw of some type.

If I were to install a pendant hung box with a threaded hub. I would
apply Loctite "Threadlocker" 243 to the threads, before making it
wrench tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.