Pimp My Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: Pimp My Ride

I well remember a job during the first summer of my apprenticeship. It was a hot and sultry Nebraska plains day and I went with the boss on a central AC hookup. The power at this little farmstead was off, for whatever reason, so the boss gets out the 1/4" & 3/4" star drills. Little one for the anchors for a 30A fused switch (subpanel) and the other to run the line outside through the block wall. (He didn't have a brace & bit, otherwise we would have punched the rim joist.)

I thought I was smart by volunteering to stay in that cool, damp basement, but by the time I came out I was wringing wet and had a badly bruised left hand.

jwelectric

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
I well remember a job during the first summer of my apprenticeship. It was a hot and sultry Nebraska plains day and I went with the boss on a central AC hookup. The power at this little farmstead was off, for whatever reason, so the boss gets out the 1/4" & 3/4" star drills. Little one for the anchors for a 30A fused switch (subpanel) and the other to run the line outside through the block wall. (He didn't have a brace & bit, otherwise we would have punched the rim joist.)

I thought I was smart by volunteering to stay in that cool, damp basement, but by the time I came out I was wringing wet and had a badly bruised left hand.
I want to laugh so bad but my hand hurts just thinking about it. It is nice to know that I wasn?t the only person to experience life?s little memories.
:)

davedottcom

Hey George, I would like to enter the "Pimp my Ride Contest"! :cool:

[ October 03, 2005, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: davedottcom ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by davedottcom:
Hey George, I would like to enter the "Pimp my Ride Contest"!
Dave, you got me beat! That has got to be the most loaded down Astro I have seen in my life. If there's a wirenut out of place, I can't see it! Love the ladder-rack!

This one's for you:
One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

-Johnny Cash, One Piece At A Time
Aside from the inverter and tunes, how much do you have invested in shelves? My guess if you managed to assemble this masterpiece for less than $20, am I right? :)

That's a sweet ride. Wow. :D

torcho

Electricians are so predictable...I just knew I'd see a piece of NM holding that ladder down Dave.. :D In my area, we are required to use #10 or larger for our ladders. George, you really a Cash fan? I actually saw him and and?June Carter in Boulder, Colorado in 1998 I think. It was pretty cool. I even have some old albums that I hope one day will be worth something. (Live at Folsom and Live at San Quentin)

Edited to add:

By the way Dave and George, nice vans.

[ October 04, 2005, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: torcho ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by torcho:
By the way Dave and George, nice vans.
Ditto. :)

Originally posted by jeff43222:
This is what I use.
The one in my van has dry cored at least 40 - 3" and 4" holes through decks from 4" to a full 10"

At this point the clutch is a little weak, the rest is fine. When I get around to sending it in I am sure it will come back strong.

Dave cool ride, the first thing I like is that the shelfs fit the shape of the truck.

The ones in my van are just these straight walled shelfing units.

I have at least 6" of watsted space behind the shelfs on each side which is a full foot of floor space. :p

jwelectric

Only when I am in a hurry or making a service call.

jebcoplaque_DEsr3.jpg

For the every day run of the mill work

cat_horse%20and%20wagon_6.jpg

But I do have a real good sound system

r755g.jpg

But after a hard days work I kick back and watch the old tube

Strom_TV.JPG

But when I want to hear a few tunes at home i use the trusty trun table

westi.78recordplayer01.JPG

One of these days I will be able to afford one of them new fang dangled contraptions that some of you have.

davedottcom

Thanks guys! :) The shelves are wire shelving turned up-side down! & the bins were free, compliments of Home Depot. (Right off their shelves!)

Torcho , If you look at the pic closely you'll see I "supplement" the 12/2 on the ladder rack with a bike-lock-cable! I don't leave home without it! :D I don't think I'll ever use a full-size again, I'm serious.(Remember, I'm just a 1-man show)

Dave

peter d

Mike, as much as we might bang heads about code, you have a great sense of humor. That was one of the funniest posts I've read in quite some time, aside from Bob's "exceptionally exercised wrist" posting of course. :) Going by your van alone I can allready tell that you do great work.

sparky_magoo

You might be a redneck if your truck looks like mine:
DSC00032.jpg

Do any of you have your own cranes? My shop does.

DSC00041.jpg

At least I use the latest in state of the art test equiptment.

Pleas stand by. Photobucket is kicking my butt. If you guy's enjoy my photos, more will come I have many more.

DSC00040.jpg

sparky_magoo

I too have a system for keeping frequently used boxes close at hand.

DSC00039.jpg

I also keep my hardware highly organized

DSC00026.jpg

[ October 04, 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: sparky_magoo ]

peter d

Sparky, I would be ashamed to drive around with a mess like that in the back of my truck. And if I was going to interview with this guy and I drove up and saw the shop, the next move I would make is leaving. Sorry for the harsh words but that is a disgrace.

On a lighter not, I envy you guys who live in the Eternal Sunshine who can keep all their stuff in the back of a pick up.

sparky_magoo

Are you implying that I am less of an electrcian because the back of my truck and our yard look like train wrecks?

sparky_magoo

Peter, my shops current owner's dad bought that crane brand new. It still runs. I wanted to post a picture of our dozer/trencher, but it is out on a job site. It appears to be almost as old as the crane. We have been in busines since the forties.

Our old time customers don't care about how old our equiptment is. We do work for most of the wineries around here. The time my boss showed up at a winery job with his anchient dozer/trencher to dig a trench, I was embarsed. Wine tasters thought the vintage equiptment was way cool. I was amazed at how the boss drove this thing down a steep grade to cut my trench. Our old equiptment shows we our the oldest shop in our area. I'm not proud of a sloppy truck. If I had a bigger one, it would be easier for me to organize my stuff.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by peter d:
George, you don't actually wear that tool belt, do you???
Only when I need to. Generally, it's hanging off a ladder (while I trim) or on the floor. See the little brown pouch up to the upper right corner of my bags? That's what I normally have on. :)

I can't see Sparky's pics? :eek: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.