Pimp My Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Re: Pimp My Ride

Peter I am with you 100%. In my vast experience a slob in the truck is a slob on the job. Sure there are exceptions but for the most part it is true. It is not fair to everyone else on the job and it is not fair to other employees that use the trucks. There is no better way to start the day than to be told "You're taking van 4 today..." and when you open the door to put your tools in it looks like a tornado just passed through. :mad:
Sparky magoo, not judging your skills but I would not hire someone to come work in my house that showed up in a truck like that.
That shop yard is a disgrace. I hope there are no neighbors that have to look at that crap everyday.

[ October 06, 2005, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
There is no better way to start the day than to be told "You're taking van 4 today..." and when you open the door to put your tools in it looks like a tornado just passed through. :D

davedottcom

Originally posted by georgestolz:

If they tried to hold my check until I went to the car wash, I would probably choke people.
LOL! :D
And that's if you were in a really good mood!

210.gif

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Since I'm throwing fireballs I'll back up my smack talk.
Oh, sure, after you've had a whole day to clean it up for the picture! :D

sparky_magoo

Scott, Three responses to you post:

1. I have worked with great electrcians who had messy trucks. I have also worked with lousy electricians who kept immaculate trucks. You can't judge me by my truck.

2. I won't be rolling up on any new clients. We're way too busy. We can barely take care of our old timey customers. We turn away business. This isn't unique around here. All of the good shops are short staffed. The only certified jouneyman electricians around here already have jobs. None of our clients will send me away from a service call because my truck is a train wreck. I'm not being smug, but my reputation precedes me.

3. Yeah, the yard is a mess. Our warehouse is by far the largest and most highly organized of any contractor I have ever worked for. Anything I could possibly want is in stock and easily found.
The only time I went to a store, while working here, was to get a tap and the corresponding drill bit.

Don't make judgements based upon outward appearances.

sparky_magoo

Scott, BTW does that Milwauekee radio get good reception? I was on a job where the cabinet guy had one like yours. It couldn't pich up squat, whereas my $15 Realistic pocket radio picked up all kinds of stations.

monkey

Yo Scott....I've benn waiting for someone to post a box truck! What size is that? And where do you keep the extension ladder?? And the pipe???

I am looking to replace my rig soon, first I wanted a 10 or 12 foot box on a cutaway van, now I want one of those cutaways with a Spartan Utilimaster or a Royal body. Altho the box truck is kind of nice, lots of room, and cheaper. But they are pretty big to drive around.

monkey

On second look that isn't a box, is it? Looks like the lower part has outside compartments? Can you post pics of the outside??

I know, I need a life!

peter d

Originally posted by sparky_magoo:
Don't make judgements based upon outward appearances.
It would be nice if that never happened, but here in the real world it happens all the time. In fact, more often than not, people will judge you based on your presentation more than anything else. Is it fair? No. Is it going to change? No.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by sparky_magoo:
Yeah Bob, I showed the world mine. Now show the world yours.
OK this is what the truck looked like when I pulled up to work the other morning.

:)

I have no idea how Dave can work out of a minivan. :)

iwire

Staff member

Scott, cool ride :cool: I would like to have a truck like that.

Being able to stand up and have plenty of light would make life so much easer.

Right now I am truck-less, the afternoon after I took that picture above the truck would not start. I think the electric fuel pump died. I hope to get it back today.

electricmanscott

Magoo, I make judgements based on appearance. Just can't help it. By my experience more often than not my judgements are right on the money. Does not mean it applies to you or everybody but it does apply to most.

The Milwaukee radio picks up stations fine. I used to buy cheap radios that ended up getting beat up on jobs and in the truck.

Monkey, my truck is a Utilimaster 10' Trademaster utility body with outside compartments. It is on a ford E350 single rear wheel chasis. The only drawback to this truck vs a standard van is the height. It is 10' to the top of the ladder racks. No drive thrus!

I'll take some pictures of the outside.

The extension ladder is on the roofracks. To get it down I have to use the 6' ladder that is in the truck but I don't use it often enough for it to be a problem.
I don't have pipe rack because I don't use pipe enough to install or build one. I just grab a bunch of pipe from my garage when I need it.

Bob,stay calm! I have notifed an urban search and rescue team. They will get you out of there. :eek:
For my tunes I have four speakers, a wussy eight inch sub and XM Satellite radio.

[ October 07, 2005, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
:D
Interestingly, Bob didn't have to open the doors for this picture. The minute tremors generated by his approaching footsteps caused the latch to give way under the pressure, and fly open... :D

It's okay Bob. Yesterday I loaded up for a trim that I couldn't get into, so my van's full of crap too. :p

I did get the tunes in last night though! :cool:

Unfortunately, the antenna wire is too short, I'm going to have to get one of those extenders. :mad:

Edit to add: Why can't I see Magoo and Scott's trucks yet? :confused: My computer sucks.

[ October 07, 2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.