plugmould & undercabinet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilbeSpark

goldstar said:
They make special (European type) screw connectors for the plugmold. They fit exactly in the end spaces so make sure you use them and not wire nuts.

Got a link and/or a part number??

I just had a client that saw a photo of plugmold, 2 rows up in a fulled
subway tiled backsplash. Tile guy, say no way, client didn't really care,
just saw photo in architecual digest. This all happened @ finish time.
Tile guys moved my wires up, so 1" were sticking out undercabinets.
Great... Cut holes, channel sheetrock, nailplate, corners, 5 studs in a row,
headache... Never again will I consider plugmold...

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GilbeSpark said:
Got a link and/or a part number??
Sorry, I was mistaken again. marcerrin posted the correct part description. They are Wago type push-in connectors and fit exactly side by side inside the wiremold case. Sorry, don't have a link or PN but ask at your supply house.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Want to make an impression? Come up with a combination receptacle/task-lighting system, with switch options.

kbsparky

Dennis Alwon said:
....I have contacted the wiremold salesman about a year ago and he tells me they don't make those connectors anymore. If you have a part number I would love to have it , Thanks.

You're looking for a Wiremold W-30:

FW003940.jpg

electricmanscott

sparky_pdx said:
I just had a client that saw a photo of plugmold, 2 rows up in a fulled
subway tiled backsplash. Tile guy, say no way, client didn't really care,
just saw photo in architecual digest. This all happened @ finish time.
Tile guys moved my wires up, so 1" were sticking out undercabinets.
Great... Cut holes, channel sheetrock, nailplate, corners, 5 studs in a row,
headache... Never again will I consider plugmold...

Why would it be the tile guys or your decision to make? :-?

Aren't you working for the customer?
As long as they are paying and it is legal I would think you should pretty much give them what they want whether you and the tile guy like it or not. :rolleyes:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
electricmanscott said:
Note to lovers of plugmold....There are currently no plugmold models that can be installed in a dwelling to comply with the 2008 NEC that I am aware of (and I have tried to find some). Just something to keep in mind.:)

And for those whose jurisdictions are not adopting the 2008 for awhile, carry on.:grin:

Roger

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
Want to make an impression? Come up with a combination receptacle/task-lighting system, with switch options.
Then we'd be on Star Trek and on the USS Enterprise !!! We're still a few years off.

electricmanscott

roger said:
And for those whose jurisdictions are not adopting the 2008 for awhile, carry on.:grin:

Roger

And don't worry about your mullets and parachute pants, it's ok to live behind the times. :D

Oh and you guys are going to love this new rock and roll guy, John Cougar I think he calls himself. I just picked up his new cassette tape. This kid is going places you'll see. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
electricmanscott said:
I just picked up his new cassette tape. This kid is going places you'll see. :D

And who is behind the times? :grin:

Roger

Well, no one had seen plugmold in a backsplash before.
not me, not my GC., not the client, not the tile guy.
tile guy probably said so to client & GC... I got paid
all the same... next time I'll be more aggressive/adamant
@ rough-in time. but we all get on fine, no hard feelings

satcom

electricmanscott said:
And don't worry about your mullets and parachute pants, it's ok to live behind the times. :D

Oh and you guys are going to love this new rock and roll guy, John Cougar I think he calls himself. I just picked up his new cassette tape. This kid is going places you'll see. :D

You think it's safe to buy a color TV, I am waiting for them to get all the bugs out!

electricmanscott

sparky_pdx said:
Well, no one had seen plugmold in a backsplash before.
not me, not my GC., not the client, not the tile guy.
tile guy probably said so to client & GC... I got paid
all the same... next time I'll be more aggressive/adamant
@ rough-in time. but we all get on fine, no hard feelings

I'm confused. What are you going to be adamant about? NOT installing plugmold? If that's what they want it really isn't up to you other than to not work for them I guess.

danickstr

I am always scratching my head when people spec wiremold for a custom kitchen. It was designed for labs and school retrofits.

Leviton makes Acenti designer receptacles that are nice-looking of themselves, and more convenient. Designers often sell a bill of goods that inconvenience the HO. :confused:

Well, in this case, turns out the HO didn't really care, just saw a photo in fancy pants magazine. I'll try to talk them out of it, if possible. Who needs plugs every 6" anyway...I dunnoo...

electricmanscott

sparky_pdx said:
Well, in this case, turns out the HO didn't really care, just saw a photo in fancy pants magazine. I'll try to talk them out of it, if possible. Who needs plugs every 6" anyway...I dunnoo...

Dude youre killing me. Why would you want to talk them out of a more expensive option? Just beacause you don't think they need it? Give them the pros and cons and let them decide. Hope that they choose the one that will make you more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.