plugmould & undercabinet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

fww56

I don't post much but do spend a bit of time reading this forum. I also do a lot of kitchens through a kitchen designer Here are my thoughts on the plugmold debate.

I try to upsell all of my kitchen rewire jobs with an undercabinet upgrade package. This includes both plugmold and Seagull Ambience undercabinet light system. I probably sell 90% or better of them. I get $45 per foot plus the transformer for the lighting and $17 per foot for the plugmold, I also charge to move all switches to the underside of the cabinets and charge accordingly. The Plugmold charge is in addition to the standard take-off cost for the required receptacles.

It is common for this option to add better than $1500.00 to $2000.00 to the cost of the electrical package for the kitchen. Usually an easy up-sell once you point out the cost of their fancy glass tile or stone wall splash. I also make a quick comparison to the cost ratio of the upgrade vs. the total cost of the kitchen, $2000 would be only 4% of the total cost of a $50,000.00 kitchen job without counting the painting, appliances nor the granite countertops, probably closer to 2% or less with all costs factored in. Add glass doors to a few cabinets, light them up at $275 to $350 each and this makes for a nice day at the office profit wise.

Although it does take quite a bit more time during the finish, you have to consider the time saved during the rough. There are no boxes to set, no boxes to make up and you are only pulling the feeds to one location at each cabinet run. It also helps to be familiar with the products and all of the associated hardware, open the boxes knowing what you're looking for rather than trying to figure out what goes where.

I set a surface mount box to the underside of one wall cabinet for each run of cabinets with a gfi receptacle to protect the plugmold.

An air switch for the garbage disposal @ $50.00 for a plug in device(my cost apporox $30.00).

I've found that if you can hit this niche market it works well , for me at least.

FRANK

sparky_pdx said:
Dude,I'm never installing that crap again, I don't care how badly they want it.

Guess that's a piece of business your competitor will get, and customers you will lose.

I'm very fond of one of our forum members signature. It's something along the line of "I can do anything if you're willing to sign a big enough check"

I never tell my customer something can't be done unless it's illegal or unethical. I can usually find a way to do just about anything.

Each to his own. In all my years of wiring kitchens, I've only had 1 person that thought she wanted it & turns out she didn't really. Losing customers to
others? Non-issue...

fww56

electricguy61 said:
I'm very fond of one of our forum members signature. It's something along the line of "I can do anything if you're willing to sign a big enough check"

I never tell my customer something can't be done unless it's illegal or unethical. I can usually find a way to do just about anything.

I also use that line in fact I used it just this morning and the customer said "That's what I was afraid of."
This customer also was one of my kitchen jobs that I was able to sell the uncercabinet "package" to and she loves it. Tomorrow I'm going to finish her neighbor's kitchen including "that same stuff that you did in Becky's kitchen."

On a job that includes $2000 for the undercabinet stuff, I end up with about $1000 in material with $1000 left for labor. If I spend a leisurely day doing this, it still makes for a pretty good day.

I love the noise that plugmold makes when you snap it closed, it goes something like this "cha-ching"

Here's a few pics of the end result. Note the faucet in the first photo, that's around a $1200 part with LED lights in the end of it, another receptacle, another upcharge. These kitchens were in the $70k neighborhood plus appliances, tops and finishes with the electrical around $4500+ in the first one and pushing $5500 in the last one.

IMGP0021.jpg

IMGP0023.jpg

IMGP6402.jpg

FRANK

edited for spelling, a Catholic school thing

Last edited:
eletricmanscot wrote:
"You should put this right on your truck.
I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes. "

Dude, I'm having a good time, laughing at your postings.
You should put a clown on the side of your truck...

electricmanscott

sparky-pdx said:
Dude, I'm having a good time, laughing at your postings.
You should put a clown on the side of your truck...

I tried that once. But when I parked in front of an elmentary school, well let's just say people were susupicious. :wink: :grin:

electricmanscott

FW 56 is my new hereo. This guy gets it! Anybody that uses the word cha-ching is ok with me. :grin:

Sure he sounds like a smarmy car saleseman with all the "lighting package" and "upgrade package" talk, but if it works who am I to judge. Nice work Frank.

fww56

That's probably a very good product but I think I'll stick with the Hubble product at $30 for a 6ft stick. To install that 6ft piece would cost;

6 ft of plugmold would replace two recpts included in the basic kitchen package that would be
2pcs X $50= $100
6ft X $17 = $102

$100 + $102= $202
$202 - $30 = $172.00

$172 net after materials, how long does it take to install 6 ft of this?

FRANK

marcerrin

electricmanscott said:

Well......if I can give my customer a choice of something just as good for less money, I'm going to steer them in that direction. My customers appreciate a good value. I also like how plugmold's receptacles are horizonal, instead of the vertical ones in the picture. Makes plugging in phone chargers and stuff, easier.

" He must be one of those EC's whose customers don't pay for any material."

Ofcourse I charge for materials, but sleep much better at night when I give my customers choices. Plugmold seems like a better value to me.

uninterrupted backsplash, Plugmold,Angle powerstrip from Tasklighting

uninterrupted backsplash, Plugmold,Angle powerstrip from Tasklighting

electricmanscott said:
It's ok Dennis, many want to be like me but none can keep up. :wink: :grin:

By the way, that picture clearly demonstrates why plugmold in this application stinks. Hanging cords will always look worse than a receptacle hidden behind the appliance.

Not to mention the hideous tile.[/QUOTE
Since the price of beautiful tile, glass, press tin, whatever the backsplash... is $$$, having the backsplash uninterrupted is welcome to the consumer. It looks good. I hate having the backsplash broken by outlets. I don't have appliances plugged in all the time anyway, except for a coffee pot and I don't have that $1400. coffee "station" in my house either. I like the idea of "plugmold" applied on a 45 angle.
Thanks for your forum.
shocking/pink

Status
Not open for further replies.