Power4Home - For Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I watched the painfully longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg video, which is more of a story of slides, and had to really grit my teeth just to get to the end of it, but in all for $50 it does seem intriguing.

A search of the web, I could not find where it is a scam, and was thinking for $50 it might be fun projects to do with my kid's. Might even make a good science fair project for them.

Was hoping some of you folks had heard or seen this before and might provide some valuable insight. I am interested in learning more about PV systems, and small wind turbines so it seems fun.

Any info will be appreciated.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The presentation says it is seven minutes long, but I think it is much longer. I?ll save you the trouble, and give you the basic concept. But in case you want to experience the infomercial, here is a link:
http://www.off-the-grid-homes.net/power4home.html
http://www.off-the-grid-homes.net/power4home.html

It tells you to turn up your speakers, but that is not necessary. You will see a slide show, and the company owner simply reads the slides. But he does in in dramatic fashion, and with admirable skill, so I think the intent of asking you to turn up your speakers is to get you sucked in by the vocal energy on the presenter.

Here are the highlights of the presentation:

• Government equals bad.
  • Utility companies are thieves.
  • My daughter was cold, and that made me a bad dad.
  • Off the shelf solar ?kits? are way overpriced.
  • I bought the components for under $200, including a couple solar cells and a small wind generator.
  • My electric bill went down right away, and by the second month, the electric company was sending me a monthly check.
  • I am a good dad now.
  • For $50, I?ll send you videos and instructions on how to do this yourself.
  • Even my idiot brother, who hadn?t touched a hammer since high school shop class, was able to put up a system at his house, using my ?easy to understand, not in technical jargon? instructions.
  • BUT WAIT, THERE?s MORE! Act now, and for a bonus . . . (you can keep the bonus materials, even if you decide you don?t want the product).

Here is one thing I didn?t notice as being included in the presentation:

• NEC article 700.5.

The thing that surprised me the most is that he emphasizes the ?you can do the labor yourself? angle by stating that the professional installers charge by the hour and milk the time for all it is worth, since it?s not their house and all they care about is getting your money.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Before you guys throw too many rocks at this guy check out all the satisfied customers at the bottom of the page here
I had seen that already, and I really don't think I was throwing any rocks. I don't think this is a scam, but it might have a degree of danger involved. I know next to nothing about photovoltaics, and am not even sure I spelled it correctly. :roll: My concern is that connecting in parallel with the grid, in accordance with the NEC rules, was not addressed in the presentation.

Oh, and by the way, I never give any credit for any testimonials "by satisfied customers" that are posted on a web site at which a product can be purchased. I call it "self-serving evidence," and I am perfectly aware that I cannot distinguish a real testimonial from one that was written by the owner of the business.

bob

Charlie
I agree with you. I just got a laugh out of all those comments from the people that were screwed. Check the comments at the bottom of the page.

Besoeker

Before you guys throw too many rocks at this guy check out all the satisfied customers at the bottom of the page here
http://diysolarhomes.com/blog/power-4-home/power-4-home-scam-is-power4home-just-another-scam/

I quite liked this comment from Steven:

"Hi everyone, I am John Russel? The John Russel! I never claimed to power your entire home for under $200 dollars"

Not exactly. You claimed you built a system for $200, and that within 2 months you were SELLING power to the electric company. You failed to mention that it required SEVERAL DOZEN of the ?units? you described to come anywhere close to actually supplying the power required to do that.

The $200 claim was misleading to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.