Pre Wire For Future Car Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I would run 2-2-2-4 AL SER. Gives you lots of options and about $2.25 a foot is considerably cheaper than 6-3 NM.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Was just thinking. Are you considering the 2's for a 100 amp feeder to a panel? or circuit ?. From what I see, it's rated 90 amps. They do make 90 amp breakers so you couldn't up it to 100 amp. So the lots of options would be a 90 amp panel. Just wondering.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Correct
A 48A continuous EVSE would require a 60A breaker, which means that a 14-50 receptacle is too small [210.21(B)(1)], it would need to be 14-60 (if that exists).

The use of NEMA 14 plug and receptacles for EVSEs is common, but wasteful; they don't need the neutral, so if a NEMA 6 plug and receptacle are use instead, you have one less conductor to run.

Cheers< Wayne
Correct, the EV itself does not use the neutral, but on the early controllers, they used a neutral, but only for internal controls. Since the manufacturer wanted it to be universal, (208 or 240) they used 120 volt contactors. I think they overcame that problem, and I think all have multi volt controls.

retirede

Correct

Correct, the EV itself does not use the neutral, but on the early controllers, they used a neutral, but only for internal controls. Since the manufacturer wanted it to be universal, (208 or 240) they used 120 volt contactors. I think they overcame that problem, and I think all have multi volt controls.

Correct - Current EVSEs do not have contactors. It’s all handled by the electronics. Portable units will operate on either 120 or 208/240 V by plugging in a different power cord. The ones not intended for portability (both hard-wired and cord & plug) are usually 208/240 only and do not use a neutral.

Tanercairns

Occupation
Master Electrician
If you are worried about the load calculation meaning you may have to upgrade the electrical service or panel, we use a small device called an energy manager by Black Box Innovations. I think the code refers to them as EV Energy Management System (EVEMS) in Canada, and Automatic Load Management System (ALMS) in the US. We put them in, connect them up in the EV charging circuit, and your good to go on a standard 100 Amp service. Way easier and cheaper. Everyone's happy. :)

Was just thinking. Are you considering the 2's for a 100 amp feeder to a panel? or circuit ?. From what I see, it's rated 90 amps. They do make 90 amp breakers so you couldn't up it to 100 amp. So the lots of options would be a 90 amp panel. Just wondering.
Use the #2 SER to feed a 90 amp sub panel or supply up to a 80 amp single circuit which could be later retrofitted to a sub panel.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I would be running a conduit run for future use of EV charging stations. In my opinion, EV‘s are fairly new technology, that the NEC has not been able to fully address with the current code requirements. For example, there has been no consideration for increasing the circuit for rapid charging of EV’s, and the new Ford version of an EV pickup will require a minimum of 80 amps for charging. This technology is still evolving, and at this time there are far too many unknowns to be able to make any kind of “educated guess” for sizing future EV charging installations.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
the new Ford version of an EV pickup will require a minimum of 80 amps for charging.
The Extended Range F-150 Lightning is capable of charging at 80 amps continuous (19.2 kW), but if you install a smaller EVSE, it will still charge fine, just slower. The Standard Range F-150 Lightning maxes out at a 47A charge rate (11.3 kW).

Cheers, Wayne

retirede

I would be running a conduit run for future use of EV charging stations. In my opinion, EV‘s are fairly new technology, that the NEC has not been able to fully address with the current code requirements. For example, there has been no consideration for increasing the circuit for rapid charging of EV’s, and the new Ford version of an EV pickup will require a minimum of 80 amps for charging. This technology is still evolving, and at this time there are far too many unknowns to be able to make any kind of “educated guess” for sizing future EV charging installations.

The Ford Charge Station Pro maxes at 80A which would require a 100A circuit. It is capable of being hardware-limited to as low as 24A for use on a 30A circuit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm in a subdivision with a fair number of pickup trucks. Houses are all UG services usually 4 to a 25kva pad. It will be interesting to see the effect EVs have especially if 80 amp chargers become common.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The Ford Charge Station Pro maxes at 80A which would require a 100A circuit. It is capable of being hardware-limited to as low as 24A for use on a 30A circuit.
And no trunk slammer or DIY'er will, in the future, change said settings. 🙄

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have been putting 6-NM on 60A breakers (and 8-NM on 50A breakers) for decades and have never been turned down. I guess that here in central NC they use the 75-degree column.
It's somewhat tricky as the #6 on a 60 is legal provided the load is not over 55 amps and it's legal with SE cable so no doubt installs often pass.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I would expect it to be shipped at 24A requiring a "knowledgeable person" to increase it?

retirede

I would expect it to be shipped at 24A requiring a "knowledgeable person" to increase it?

I doubt it. The currently available Ford Connected Charge Station is the same setup and it is shipped in the maximum current (48A) configuration. They both require installation by a “licensed electrician” according to the instructions.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You should know you customer and maybe the size of the garage as to what type of vehicle they would drive.
Keep in mind a lot of these vehicles can be programmed to draw less than max for a charge. It just takes more time
I have done both 1" conduit and 4/3NM.

retirede

Keep in mind a lot of these vehicles can be programmed to draw less than max for a charge.

But that doesn’t allow you to downsize the branch circuit. Per 625.42, in order to use a branch circuit less than the maximum EVSE rating, it must be limited by a hardware setting not easily accessible to the user.

There is also an allowance to use a software limit, but it must be password protected with the password only available to qualified personnel. But I can’t imagine this in a residential installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.