Problems with local inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerj

I usually do not have any issues with the inspectors in Baton Rouge as I was taught to do things in a way to please them.

Here, within the last three months, they have been busting our chops on things that are code compliant.

Before this year, there were four local ammendments to the 2005 NEC.
Now we are on 2008 with no ammendments.

The inspectors only inspect for code compliance not specs or drawings, supposedly.

Anyway, this one trouble inspector failed one of our jobs because there were no anti-shorts installed on a few MC Cables for some receptacles.

I asked him nicely to show me the code section I violated as I wasn't aware of the specific one we were in violation of.

He wasn't busy that day so we went and looked at the section on MC cable and as we all know you don't have to use anti-shorts.

He asked me to get the tag off the cable. It says refer to section blah, blah blah NEC

He insists it is still required and we still get a red tag.

We call downtown to the Bldg. Inspector's office and they say "Quit messing with us"

So basically they can enforce any little thing they want with no repercussions at a real cost to us and a real profit to them(reinspection fee)

This is just one example of what has been going on.

What can we do to put an end to this without making it hard to deal with these morons.

cadpoint

Beside the spec's (since they're not looking at them) suppose you have a small 3/4" conduit into
a box would he fail you if they didn't have a plastic groument in the opening of a box connecter?

Point being if they want plasitic in the flex why not plastic in the connector ? seems it could go endless...:mad:

walkerj

Beside the spec's (since they're not looking at them) suppose you have a small 3/4" conduit into
a box would he fail you if they didn't have a plastic groument in the opening of a box connecter?

Point being if they want plasitic in the flex why not plastic in the connector ? seems it could go endless...:mad:

My logic exactly.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So basically they can enforce any little thing they want with no repercussions at a real cost to us and a real profit to them(reinspection fee)

This is just one example of what has been going on.

What can we do to put an end to this without making it hard to deal with these morons.
Nothing at all. Welcome to electrical contracting. :)

It is generally considered to be a good idea to use anti-shorts even though they are not required. I would recommend leaving this fight, and picking up the "not required but we use them with pride" banner.

jwjrw

I had an inspector ask me if I used them and I told him no not required..I usally do but somehow the bag got broke and they were missing. I asked for a code reference and he couldn't find one....Talked to the chief and he said he would let me off "this time" I told hin very nicely if I was sited for this again I would call the state and let them inform him of his error. Never had a problem with him again... But then again I usally always use the red heads.

I just lost it when he said I'll let it go this time with nothing to back the ruling up.

ty

We call downtown to the Bldg. Inspector's office and they say "Quit messing with us"

If you really want to fight this battle, have your lawyer send them a letter. And that means the Electrical Inspector, and the Buildin'g Inspector.

But, before you do, I would suggest getting a letter in writing from the inspector's office explaining what CODE you are in violation of.

Now, if you go this route, be prepared. DOCUMENT everything.
If you feel there is reprocusions towards you, give the documentation to your lawyer, and have him take care of it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I would not fight this battle. Might be a difference in localities, but taking a hard line against this inspector may well have dramatic, horrific repercussions to your business in the long run. I'm wearing the t-shirt.

Being right does not always entail victory. Sometimes, we must sacrifice being right for being fed. But my finger is not on the pulse of this situation, just the OP's is.

kwired

Electron manager
for the people who think just use the bushings to make the inspector happy, it is not worth the fight you are wrong.

If the inspector is wrong he needs to know he is wrong, you need to settle the problem in a civilized matter or he will always be looking to get you on anything he can.

do you fight a traffic citation when you feel like you did nothing wrong?

people make mistakes or are misinformed including inspectors.

If an inspector is totally incompetent and tries to enforce a lot of things he can not back up with a code then the contractors he inspects for have a responsibility to report his activity to the proper authority. If there are enough complaints the problems will eventually be resolved.

some will just say I need to get this job done on time just do what he wants.
It will not hurt to put the bushings on for the sake of the project and time, but you still should do what you can to educate the inspector

hunt4679

We use the arlington saddle grip connectors with the insulated throut and on the box it states anti short bushings must be used with this connector!

Status
Not open for further replies.