infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
400 amp feed thru panel:

xt3sty6Nc9vaG4fW1Cg7PJt3bJEZy2xlP2fvryNsvtg=w691-h921-no

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what happened to the upside-down picture. Its not like that on my computer and I don't know how to fix it. As far as the pipe work, there is some planning involved but a lot of it is done on the fly. We do that stuff every day however and just like anything else it gets easier each time. I'm a bit anal about exposed conduit work but my therapist says it's a healthy obsession.:D

Most likely the original was upside down, or the photo was scanned wrong side first to create a new "original". First time you opened it you told your viewer to rotate it, and it remembers that, but others still get the original upside down version first time they open it.

PetrosA

There are a number of ways to rotate images. Assuming you have a jpeg original, many image software programs will allow you to rotate it (this is the easiest way) and resave it in it's new orientation. The only downside to this is if you do it multiple times it will degrade the image after some number of saves, depending on your compression settings (jpeg is a lossy compression format). Some software, like IrfanView, has lossless jpeg rotation plugins that will save an image with a new orientation without actually changing the image itself (it's basically telling the computer to rotate it during display). Probably more info than you need, but who knows :)

John120/240

These are all from here at Mike Holt. Attention to detail is evident.

Attachments

• Example of Panel Label.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MI cable-1.jpg
    MI cable-1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • OCD panel (2).jpg
    OCD panel (2).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MI cable-2.jpg
    MI cable-2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MI cable-3.jpg
    MI cable-3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MI cable-4.jpg
    MI cable-4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MI cable-5.jpg
    MI cable-5.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Flimsy covers GE provides may as well be clear - that it the biggest problem with that install:)

Nothing flimsy about that installation, everything was NEMA 12 and solid stainless steel including the covers.:cool:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I would like to splash a little reality. Quality is subjective. Years ago I had training that stated, "Quality is conformance to requirements." Think about that. I have trouble with my friend because he thinks I am being a hack, bringing MC in to the electrical room and down in to the panels, when that is what the customer paid for. The class explained this way: If a customer orders a Pinto, and the manufacturer builds him a Cadillac, that is not quality. But we usually think of a Pinto as garbage and a Cadillac as the standard of luxury. Not to detract from Jim's pictures. That is called planning. I contend that, if you plan first, your work can look like that and not cost you more.

Attachments

• 2014-10-15 09.17.32.jpg
    2014-10-15 09.17.32.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Infinity Hall Duct Bank 045.jpg
    Infinity Hall Duct Bank 045.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0

electricalist

I always viewed neat work to be a form of communication so that when I'm done the customer and who ever comes behind me can understand what is going on.
When I see chaos above the panel or ceiling , I think I hope who ever did this doesn't try to explain it to me.

Sent from my LGLS620 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing flimsy about that installation, everything was NEMA 12 and solid stainless steel including the covers.:cool:
Your install was fine, my beef was with the GE panel that you may not have had much choice on. I recently was working in a similar NEMA 12 panel - was not impressed with the quality of the cover, though it was better then their "load center" panel covers typically are.

One thing that does need to happen in many of the images posted here is coordination with other trades.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm looking for pics of quality work
roughing in mc cable. pipe runs. splices in wireways big JB's, electric rooms, transformer wiring

The thought is I can show crew the pics and say that's what I'm looking for.

Your time is appreciated

well, this is a 1,200 amp panel with more packed
into it than normal.... there is 1/16" inch on each side
of the pipes coming up.... and getting the wire where
it needed to go required some different sort of stuff.
it was a bit crowded. you had to lay up the wire first, and
then put the guts into the panel.... well, you didn't have
to, but it was easier.

Two thoughts on the word "quality"-

"Quality is like buying oats...if you want nice fresh clean white oats, you have to pay a fair price...however, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, those are a bit cheaper."

Definition 2 from m-w.com:
a : degree of excellence : grade <the quality of competing air service ? Current Biography>
b : superiority in kind <merchandise of quality>

I think it was Donald Trump that was famous for equating quality with high cost.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I'm looking for pics of quality work
roughing in mc cable. pipe runs. splices in wireways big JB's, electric rooms, transformer wiring

The thought is I can show crew the pics and say that's what I'm looking for.

Your time is appreciated

I'm a little late to the party, but below is a panel I built a few years ago.

DSCN2344sm.jpg

I've always said that it can look like a mess and still work but if it doesn't, it's much easier to troubleshoot if it's neat and well documented. The craftsmanship one puts into their work is their signature.

SceneryDriver

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I've always said that it can look like a mess and still work but if it doesn't, it's much easier to troubleshoot if it's neat and well documented.
True statement unless the original installer goes crazy with tie wraps.
The craftsmanship one puts into their work is their signature.
Then my signature is not as neat as it could be but still legible.

Status
Not open for further replies.