Reasons For Not Giving Free Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

emahler said:
for a true resi service company, i disagree...t&m punishes customers if a slower tech is sent...min times are simply saying we don't bill enough, and this is how we pay our bills...

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've never run a true resi service company...not an electrical construction company that also does service....

there is a reason that almost all successful resi service companies don't run t&m...
A slower tech should not get paid as much unless they posses skills that the others do not have. The customer will either pay a lower rate because the person is slower or will pay a higher rate because, while being slower, the tech has the high skill level that some jobs require.

Minimum times are another way to recover some prep time for a job (remember cost allocation?). You could also charge a service call fee and then a separate hourly rate. There are many ways to skin that cat.

You need to decide which story you are going to stick with. One story is that an EC really needs to look at ALL costs to determine the appropriate hourly rate (this story I whole-heartedly agree with as many forget to include some of the costs).

Another story you tell is the reverse side of that coin where you say you can determine that someone is losing money because they are not charging a number that you like, BUT YOU HAVE NOT looked at all of the costs for the particular EC. You can't have it both ways: either you have to look at the cost details or you don't.

The latest story is that it doesn't matter what the hourly rate is because most companies can't charge t&m and be successful.

SPARKS40

mivey said:
What? How is that being dishonest? The most honest way would be to charge separately based on the actual cost allocations.

If you only have an hourly rate, you have rolled all of your costs, fixed, direct, AND variable into a variable rate, which we could claim is dishonest as well.

Since it is not practical for most people to separate a bill into its actual component costs, we can try to simulate those cost allocations by using other methods. Minimum fees/hours, starting the clock when you head to a location, travel expenses for remote locations, added costs for sites with no amenities, special needs adders, etc. are some of the methods used to try to better match the actual bill with the actual cost allocation.

There is no perfect solution, and one solution does not fit everybody.

I do not think that charging for on site time only is necessarily the best choice. But, you could factor the actual on site time into your hourly rate, which also includes your overhead costs. This would mean you should take all of your costs and margins and divide by the on-site time, which should be less than 2080 hours. Some ECs may have 1700 hours of on-site time, some may have 1200 or less.

Again, there is no perfect solution, and one solution does not fit everybody.

I have to agree with mivey,

I'm not going to take a service call for example, from an older couple who are on a fixed income, and charge the going rate to change a fuse because half of their power has gone out. I've been in this business for 20+ years, and in order to make an honest buck, you have to make concessions and take each and every service call on a case by case basis. You cannot charge every job at an hourly rate if you expect to survive in this or any field. How long do you think i would be working if i charged hourly plus a service call charge to replace a defective recep or switch?? Not long........

emahler

mivey said:
A slower tech should not get paid as much unless they posses skills that the others do not have. The customer will either pay a lower rate because the person is slower or will pay a higher rate because, while being slower, the tech has the high skill level that some jobs require.

Minimum times are another way to recover some prep time for a job (remember cost allocation?). You could also charge a service call fee and then a separate hourly rate. There are many ways to skin that cat.

You need to decide which story you are going to stick with. One story is that an EC really needs to look at ALL costs to determine the appropriate hourly rate (this story I whole-heartedly agree with as many forget to include some of the costs).

Another story you tell is the reverse side of that coin where you say you can determine that someone is losing money because they are not charging a number that you like, BUT YOU HAVE NOT looked at all of the costs for the particular EC. You can't have it both ways: either you have to look at the cost details or you don't.

The latest story is that it doesn't matter what the hourly rate is because most companies can't charge t&m and be successful.

Mivey,

I have had the opportunity to see dozens of service companies P&L's...I've seen dozen's more of things that they tried to call a P&L, but were far from it. I've had the opportunity to meet and work with hundreds of contractors from NYC to California and everywhere in between...

I've had the opportunity to meet some of the greatest business minds in our industry, and just learn from others.

For the record, you need to know all your costs if you want to be profitable.

Resi service is an industry all to itself, you can not operate it like an electrical construction company...

I know that the majority of contractors use service as a loss leader in hopes of getting the bigger jobs...i know that a good portion of contractors who do this, don't even know they do this.

I know that they most successful resi service contractors in the country all follow the same basic system. These are guys who specialize in resi service, not just service their construction customers because they have to.

So, I am confident enough in my knowledge to say with a fair bit of accuracy that no one operating a full fledged resi service company can be profitable anywhere in the country, while paying living wages, for $65/hr, without pulling shenanigans...

shenanigans include:
sending an apprentice on every call and billing at full mechanic rate
billing travel time to and from the job site
minimum billing hours

I'm not saying these items shouldn't be billed...i'm saying that I don't believe that they should be broken out and tacked on to an artificially low hourly rate.

I don't think that it's ethical to somehow make people believe that you are only $65/hr (or whatever that number is) then somehow bill them 3 hrs when you were only there 1, and had a total of 30 mins travel time....

I personally believe that the fairest way to perform residential service, for everyone, is to give the a solid price before we do any work...this price includes everything...labor, material, travel, permits, etc...

Then, once they know the final cost, the customer can decide if they want to pay it or not...If it's more than they want to spend, we've only invested 30-60 mins of our time and no material.

I don't believe in telling them $65/hr....But not being able to give them a final price until we are done. Then adding on truck charges, fuel charges, material, etc...

In addition, if you had done residential service, you would know that this puts you into an incredibly bad position. Again, we are talking the general public, not your regular customers...This is a bad position because, I've quoted them an hourly rate, they said OK...I do the job, install the material...I finish, I calculate the bill (or worse yet, I tell them that the office will send a bill)...and they balk. Too much money. Now what do I do?

I've already invested my labor, my material, my time....they got what they wanted...and in many states, if the total bill is over a certain amount, they don't have to pay, because I didn't give them a written estimate before hand.

I have no leverage. I can take them to small claims court. Heck the bill is only $500. It will cost me that much to collect it. Do I just negotiate with them and accept $400?

In my opinion, and the opinion of some of the best minds in this part of the industry, trying to operate a resi service business T&M is not a smart idea.

emahler

SPARKS40 said:
I have to agree with mivey,

I'm not going to take a service call for example, from an older couple who are on a fixed income, and charge the going rate to change a fuse because half of their power has gone out. I've been in this business for 20+ years, and in order to make an honest buck, you have to make concessions and take each and every service call on a case by case basis. You cannot charge every job at an hourly rate if you expect to survive in this or any field. How long do you think i would be working if i charged hourly plus a service call charge to replace a defective recep or switch?? Not long........

how many employees do you have? do you not have to pay their full salary for every hour they work? do you get a discount on your van payments? insurance? shop mortgage/rent?

I'm not saying that you are wrong for what you are doing, but I am saying that you are doing it for misguided reasons and notions.

I would also like to add, we had a line item in our budget for 'charity work'...so we would be able to actually do a project like that free of charge, if we saw fit, and still make all our bills for the month....

mdshunk

SPARKS40 said:
How long do you think i would be working if i charged hourly plus a service call charge to replace a defective recep or switch?? Not long........
I stay very busy doing just that. It's all about building value. I don't sell replacement switches. I sell peace of mind. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. We're also gonna talk about kitchen and bath GFCI's while I'm there, then we'll talk about TVSS's and their benefits. (along with anything else I can dream up; smoke alarms only last 10 years)

ItsHot

flippin receptacles

flippin receptacles

mdshunk said:
I stay very busy doing just that. It's all about building value. I don't sell replacement switches. I sell peace of mind. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. We're also gonna talk about kitchen and bath GFCI's while I'm there, then we'll talk about TVSS's and their benefits. (along with anything else I can dream up; smoke alarms only last 10 years)
And flippin their receptacles to "ground up"!!:grin:

emahler

ItsHot said:
And flippin their receptacles to "ground up"!!:grin:

listen, with all the money they will save because he stopped the electric from falling out, they can afford to pay...

billcwpg

Estimating and doing the work at the same time

Estimating and doing the work at the same time

Here is an idea that works for all of you smalller guys.. Estimating and doing the job at the same time. I know in my part of the country people are so happy for someone to show up they just want the work done. So what i do is have the tools and material to get the job done or as close to being done as possible when you show up. Customers are happy to have it done in one shot, you get paid when the work is completed and you dont have to go back or send someone back to the job.

emahler

billcwpg said:
Here is an idea that works for all of you smalller guys.. Estimating and doing the job at the same time. I know in my part of the country people are so happy for someone to show up they just want the work done. So what i do is have the tools and material to get the job done or as close to being done as possible when you show up. Customers are happy to have it done in one shot, you get paid when the work is completed and you dont have to go back or send someone back to the job.

that was how we did resi service...in NJ as well...

Ok, now what...

Ok, now what...

emahler said:
I personally believe that the fairest way to perform residential service, for everyone, is to give the a solid price before we do any work...this price includes everything...labor, material, travel, permits, etc...

Then, once they know the final cost, the customer can decide if they want to pay it or not...If it's more than they want to spend, we've only invested 30-60 mins of our time and no material.
Ok, I understand your concept here, however, if the customer decides not to take the job, where do I send my Electrician? Ok, now multiply that by 3...

I will admit, I do give bids for most of the work I perform... It is a rarity indeed when I have a customer that wants me to start right now, without some type of price before them...

The situation for me, and yes, it is a small company, and I'm on the verge of bringing on 7 more guys... is that I am the one performing the bids and scheduling the job... Now, I understand this cannot continue for much longer... but I cannot just send a guy home for the day because the customer didn't like my price. (for whatever reason: budget, more than expected, competitor was lower...)

Greg

emahler

Greg Swartz said:
Ok, I understand your concept here, however, if the customer decides not to take the job, where do I send my Electrician? Ok, now multiply that by 3...

I will admit, I do give bids for most of the work I perform... It is a rarity indeed when I have a customer that wants me to start right now, without some type of price before them...

The situation for me, and yes, it is a small company, and I'm on the verge of bringing on 7 more guys... is that I am the one performing the bids and scheduling the job... Now, I understand this cannot continue for much longer... but I cannot just send a guy home for the day because the customer didn't like my price. (for whatever reason: budget, more than expected, competitor was lower...)

Greg

Greg, there are many answers and solutions to this problem. PM me and I'll let you in on a few. However, these are things that many people pay good money to learn, and I'm not gonna be the one to mess with the formula...But PM me...

In response to first couple of posts:
I have delt with BASF engineer with safe job, taking away jobs with low bid on resi remodels. Good luck resi guy!

Economic squeeze:
I'm a Comm EC with 8-15 men, with about 6+ years est for my own co.
The resi market is so bad here, I have resi guy undercutting my price by $10- $30,000 on $100,00+/- new builds or Tenant Improvements for the simple reason of not knowing material or under est. power co. fees?? who knows?? I have big time Comm EC hitting their slow time now, laying off men and getting authorization to buy (no P&OH) jobs in our market to 'keep it going till the next big one starts'. Some other contractors are doing 5% & 10% and doing OK. I bought one job to get through the DEC to Feb time of year. I'm definetly in it for the long haul this year. I have been putting out a ton of quotes lately. Shotgun effect I guess, like to land a few more.

I have yet to see a post (i did skip a few pages)on someone addressing the current fuel costs on current estimates?
I've had to add a fuel surcharge for my diesel service trucks!(anyone on BIO diesel yet?)
How about the rising cost of medical ins?
Anyone running skeleton crews w/ or w/o a bunch of OT? (I'd rather run lean and have to push the guys a little.)
Anybody having trouble with banks(Compass in particular) short changing draws? Saying you are trying to overbill for the actual work provided, then arguing your point for two weeks with the 3rd party evaluator, now your draw payment is late + plus paying finance charge on materials 30+ days?

Just trying to get honest input from EC around the nation with some good feedback.

-Note to those who correct grammar and english-You get the idea of the post right? Let's worry about making money!

Estimates

Estimates

Free estimates to those with unhappy experiences with last EC.
Careful of Maint. Engineer guy who wants a quote to see how you'll accomplish the task and do it in house to show how smart he is and to justify keeping his job.

In response to first couple of posts:
I have delt with BASF engineer with safe job, taking away jobs with low bid on resi remodels. Good luck resi guy!

Economic squeeze:
I'm a Comm EC with 8-15 men, with about 6+ years est for my own co.
The resi market is so bad here, I have struggling resi guy undercutting my price by $10- $30,000 on $100,00+/- new builds or Tenant Improvements for the simple reason of not knowing material or under est. labor?? who knows?? I have big time Comm EC hitting their slow time now, laying off men and getting authorization to buy (no P&OH) jobs in our market to 'keep it going till the next big one starts'. Some other contractors are doing 5% & 10% and doing OK. I bought one job to get through the DEC to Feb time of year. I'm definetly in it for the long haul this year. I have been putting out a ton of quotes lately. Shotgun effect I guess, like to land a few more.

I have yet to see a post (i did skip a few pages)on someone addressing the current fuel costs on current estimates? (starting next week I'm splitting into two construction crews Mon-Thurs and Tues-Fri to save on fuel for employees and myself.)
I've had to add a fuel surcharge for my diesel service trucks!(anyone on BIO diesel yet?)
How about the rising cost of medical ins?
Anyone running skeleton crews w/ or w/o a bunch of OT? (I'd rather run lean and have to push the guys a little.)
Anybody having trouble with banks(Compass in particular) short changing draws? Saying you are trying to overbill for the actual work provided, then arguing your point for two weeks with the 3rd party evaluator, now your draw payment is late + plus paying finance charge on materials 30+ days?

Just trying to get input from EC's around the nation with some good feedback.

-Note to those who correct grammar and english-You get the idea of the post right? Let's worry about making money!:roll:

doctorbob

No Free Estimates

No Free Estimates

I have always charged for estimates and quotes. If the Client wants us to do the work, then I will credit the $100 to $1000 that we charge to do the estimate or quote.

I'm getting ready to retire, and my advice has always been to charge for all work, including estimates and quotes...

It's not that complicated! Do less work, make more money! We don't charge for "Labor", we charge for experience!

It doesn't take a Genius to be the Cheapest!

weressl said:
Definition

Profession

A professional is a worker required to possess a large body of knowledge derived from extensive academic study (usually tertiary), with the training almost always formalized. Professionals are at least to a degree self-regulating, in that they control the training and evaluation processes that admit new persons to the field, and in judging whether the work done by their members is up to standard. This differs from other kinds of work where regulation (if considered necessary) is imposed by the state, or where official quality standards are often lacking. Professions have some historical links to guilds in these regards.
Professionals usually have autonomy in the workplace?they are expected to utilize their independent judgement and professional ethics in carrying out their responsibilities.[4] This holds true even if they are employees instead of working on their own. Typically a professional provides a service (in exchange for payment or salary), in accordance with established protocols for licensing, ethics, procedures, standards of service and training / certification.
The above definitions were echoed by economist and sociologist Max Weber, who noted that professions are defined by the power to exclude and control admission to the profession, as well as by the development of a particular vocabulary specific to the occupation, and at least somewhat incomprehensible to outsiders.[citation needed]
Therefore it would be appropriate to state that a 'true' professional must be proficient in all criteria for the field of work they are practising professionally in. Criteria include following:
  1. The highest academic qualifications - i.e., university college/institute
  2. Expert and specialised knowledge in field which one is practising professionally
  3. Excellent manual/practical & literary skills in relation to profession
  4. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing or other work endeavours
  5. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.)
  • Also taking into consideration natural & harnessed talents integrated & used with qualifications & when doing work in professional capacity. These talents~skills are just as important in any forms of work be it paid, unpaid, volunteer, domestic jobs or any other work.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/
Trades

In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, such occupations as skilled construction work are more generally thought of as trades or crafts. The completion of an apprenticeship is generally associated with skilled labor or trades such as carpenter, electrician, plumber, bricklayer and other similar occupations. A related (though not always valid) distinction would be that a professional does mainly mental or administrative work, as opposed to engaging in physical work. Many companies include the word professional in their company name to signify the quality of their workmanship or service (e.g., Professional Plastics, Inc. "The Plastics Professionals").

I guess that makes us Electrical Contractors "Professional Tradesmen"

jryancey

Free estimates

Free estimates

Bottom line guys and gals you will have meet your competion, if they offer free estimates you will need to also. I was a contractor for 15 years in a major city it will also differ by region. This is part of your overhead and the cost of doing business.

emahler

jryancey said:
Bottom line guys and gals you will have meet your1? competion, if they offer free estimates you will need to also. I was a contractor for 15 years in a major city it will also differ by region. This is part of your overhead and the cost of doing business.

depends are your market....but in general i disagree 100 percent....you just need to step up and differentiate yourself..don't follow the herd...electrical contractors are like a buffalo herd....we watch one get killed off, then do the same thing as him and expect to survive....

SmithBuilt

How much do most of you charge for the estimate on small jobs? Is it just enough to cover gas say $25 or more like 1 hour @ the regular rate?

I still not completely convinced I can charge for estimates in my area. However I've been burnt too many times by realtors and they will be charged from now on. Possibly at the hourly rate from port to port.

Status
Not open for further replies.