Recept location 210.52

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Any reason why there isn?t a measurement to the right of the kitchen sink in the link below? Code indicates that recept outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24in measured horizontally. Does that last receptacle to the right of the sink meet code?if the receptacle only covers 20 inches of that wall space. Am I asking a question?...:happyyes::happysad::?

http://www.mikeholt.com/reprint_request2000.php?id=2899

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Any reason why there isn?t a measurement to the right of the kitchen sink in the link below? Code indicates that recept outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24in measured horizontally. Does that last receptacle to the right of the sink meet code?if the receptacle only covers 20 inches of that wall space. Am I asking a question?...:happyyes::happysad::?

http://www.mikeholt.com/reprint_request2000.php?id=2899
Look at countertop A for an example of the maximum linear dimension that one receptacle can cover: 48".
If the section to the right is less than 12" no receptacle is required at all. Up to 48", no point along that section of countertop is more than 24" from the outlet as long as it is mounted in the center of the wall space.

There is no requirement that you have 24" of space to be allowed to install a receptacle, that is the opposite of what the code section is saying.

resistance

I?m clear on that, not sure if the graphic is covering the rest of the wall space to the right of the sink. We aren?t sure if that wall space is 24? or more than 24?. Lets say the wall space was 26?. Does that one receptacle meet code.(Note: The counter space in front of the receptacle is 24?). Doesat one receptacle meet code.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I?m clear on that, not sure if the graphic is covering the rest of the wall space to the right of the sink. We aren?t sure if that wall space is 24? or more than 24?. Lets say the wall space was 26?. Does that one receptacle meet code.(Note: The counter space in front of the receptacle is 24?). Doesat one receptacle meet code.

Yes, if the wall is 26", one receptacle would meet code. If the wall was more than 48", you would need more than one receptacle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
At the risk of belaboring a point, suppose there is just one receptable in the middle of a 48" wide wall. If you put a coffee pot on the far left edge, it will be within 24 inches of the one receptacle. The same is true of a toaster on the far right edge. The code is written in terms of a point along the wall being within a given distance of a receptacle, not in terms of a certain width of wall space needing a certain number of receptacles.

resistance

At the risk of belaboring a point, suppose there is just one receptable in the middle of a 48" wide wall. If you put a coffee pot on the far left edge, it will be within 24 inches of the one receptacle. The same is true of a toaster on the far right edge. The code is written in terms of a point along the wall being within a given distance of a receptacle, not in terms of a certain width of wall space needing a certain number of receptacles.
I believe you are wrong. One eeceptacle will only cover 24" of countertop "wall" space left and right. If the wall space is more than 24 inches then another receptacle is needed. Note: we are talking about the counter to the right of the sink in the link provided--the beginning edge to the sink. Note: if this was a continuing coountertop wall space, then one every four feet would meet code.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I believe you are wrong. One eeceptacle will only cover 24" of countertop "wall" space left and right. If the wall space is more than 24 inches then another receptacle is needed. Note: we are talking about the counter to the right of the sink in the link provided--the beginning edge to the sink. Note: if this was a continuing coountertop wall space, then one every four feet would meet code.

You are incorrect. One receptacle will cover 48" of wall countertop space per 210.52(C)(1).

resistance

Based on the drawing would another recep be required--thats my point.?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 4

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Based on the drawing would another recep be required--thats my point.?

I think I see your concern. But AFAIK, one face of the countertop in question is considered the front face, and the opposite will be the back. If the back is at (or in your case 3" from?) a wall, then the 24" linear dimension is measured along that wall. If the countertop is deeper than 24" (very common indeed), then there is no need to put an outlet closer to the front of the counter than the wall.
Operating under that principle, as long as you do not think that the 3" extension of the countertop creates a new front and back edge of the cabinet, the only receptacle requirement is along the 24" wall and the 27" wall does not come into play.

In the case of a corner, where the countertop has a significant depth along each wall and extends more than a trivial distance beyond the rectangle defining the corner space, you have created a second set of front and back edges which would have to be covered separately under (C)(1). But IMHO your 3" extension "countertop" does not require another receptacle outlet because it is less than 12" wide.

I am willing to accept that some inspectors will consider your drawing to show a 24" countertop to the left of the corner and a 27" rather than a 3" countertop to the right of the counter. Again, IMHO, they would be wrong.

If you have a "real" corner counter, then I agree that the single outlet in the middle of the 24" wall would not allow you to extend the countertop to the right of the corner by six feet and say that the single receptacle outlet still covers it. :)

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I believe it does. Code specifies 24" of counter "wall" space. The right hand side is not covered-as the recep only covers 24"---leaving 3" uncovered

I don't believe it does. It says a receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall COUNTERTOP space that is 12" or wider. You show a countertop space that is 27" wide, the wall line for that countertop is 27", only one receptacle outlet is required.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I don't believe it does. It says a receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall COUNTERTOP space that is 12" or wider. You show a countertop space that is 27" wide, the wall line for that countertop is 27", only one receptacle outlet is required.

But the receptacle on the left wall (of the corner) is not within 24" of every point along the right wall. So the OP wonders whether there has to be a second receptacle in the middle of the right wall. I think not, but it is still not 100% clear from the code wording alone.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
But the receptacle on the left wall (of the corner) is not within 24" of every point along the right wall. So the OP wonders whether there has to be a second receptacle in the middle of the right wall. I think not, but it is still not 100% clear from the code wording alone.

Yes, I can see that, I understand what he is asking. The answer is still no. Remove the endwall, has the countertop space changed?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, I can see that, I understand what he is asking. The answer is still no. Remove the endwall, has the countertop space changed?
Remove the corner and the wall locations where a receptacle could be installed changes, thus potentially changing the code requirement.
Remove the end wall for a "real" corner with a six foot extension on the right side. By your argument no receptacles are needed in the right hand counter at all (actually, if you remove the wall, then the peninsula rules come into play.)
My argument is that the left receptacle covers the rectangle, two of whose corners are the inside and outside corner points of the counter. A single receptacle near the corner on the left wall would also cover the entire right wall (same rectangle). If you apply that test, the only corner to be accounted for (keeping the wall in place) is the one formed by the 3" stub of counter. That 3" wall section outside the rectangle is narrower than 12" and does not need a receptacle of its own.

Definitely overthinking, which leads to good entertainment value but does not seem to persuade an inspector who "knows" what the Code says. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Remove the corner and the wall locations where a receptacle could be installed changes, thus potentially changing the code requirement.
Remove the end wall for a "real" corner with a six foot extension on the right side. By your argument no receptacles are needed in the right hand counter at all (actually, if you remove the wall, then the peninsula rules come into play.)
My argument is that the left receptacle covers the rectangle, two of whose corners are the inside and outside corner points of the counter. A single receptacle near the corner on the left wall would also cover the entire right wall (same rectangle). If you apply that test, the only corner to be accounted for (keeping the wall in place) is the one formed by the 3" stub of counter. That 3" wall section outside the rectangle is narrower than 12" and does not need a receptacle of its own.

If it were not for that three inch stub, the situation would be one which is covered implicitly by the drawings in the Code.

Definitely overthinking, which leads to good entertainment value but does not seem to persuade an inspector who "knows" what the Code says. :)

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

I agree :lol:

If it were not for that three inch stub, the situation would be one which is covered implicitly by the drawings in the Code.

Unfortunately, I can't follow what you're trying to describe at all :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.