Receptacle screw in adapter in light socket Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Edison base socket of any kind with a two wire (probably polarized) receptacle screwed into it.
Would have to be GFCI protected at least. :)
I don't know if they are still being manufactured, but they are definitely still on hardware store shelves.

Last edited:

JFLOAT

The one you screw into a porcelain with recep on side and socket on end for bulb

Had a maintenance foreman want to use in a maintenance tunnel to plug tools into.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
You can even get them with pull chains switching just the socket so that you can leave the porcelain turned on.
For fixtures other than porcelains, they may still fit but I would be even more reluctant to use it that way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JFLOAT

Lighting circuit is not GFCI protected and there are 19 porcelains with 100 watt bulbs on it so not much extra for running tools before the lights go out. Guy just amazes me

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you mean one of these?

0480092_L.jpg

If your tool is double insulated and does not require an EGC it would work but if you need GFCI protection that's another issue.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Legal and code compliant are different.

I say no you can not use them.

406.4 General Installation Requirements.

Violate at least (A) (B) (C).

I counter with that it's not a receptacle any more than the two slot end of an extension cord. It's an adapter. The 'receptacle' end of a cord does not have to follow 406.4 and neither does an adapter. IMHO.

Last edited:

norcal

In someones home doubt there is much that could be done about it unless it was a rental, but on a jobsite, or place of employment would think OSHA would have issues.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
FWIW, the current versions of these adapters are polarized and assume that the socket shell is the grounded side.
They turn a relatively small safety concern into a larger one if the socket is miswired.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Legal and code compliant are different.

I say no you can not use them.

406.4 General Installation Requirements.

Violate at least (A) (B) (C).

I think you would have to claim it was "installed" first given that these requirements are found in the installation requirements paragraph.

I don't see how something like this can be considered "installed" anymore than a light bulb is "installed".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I have been at a lot of trade conventions where electricians were required to install light bulbs. :angel:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I have been at a lot of trade conventions where electricians were required to install light bulbs. :angel:

:thumbsup:

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug
. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

Call it an adapter or call it whatever it meets the definition of a receptacle to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.