Retrofit Kits and Air Handlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinkle

New User
I have a fixture that has the following condition. The fixtures have air return on one end and the ballast enclosed in a compartment on the other end. The cover for this compartment holds the old tumbstones and must be removed thus exposing the ballast. I would actually like to mount the ballast on the top center of the fixture under the reflector if not an issue?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a fixture that has the following condition. The fixtures have air return on one end and the ballast enclosed in a compartment on the other end. The cover for this compartment holds the old tumbstones and must be removed thus exposing the ballast. I would actually like to mount the ballast on the top center of the fixture under the reflector if not an issue?

Are you saying that these fixtures are deliberately connected to an air handler with flow through the fixture for energy efficiency purposes?
If so the wiring would have to be plenum rated unless separated from the air flow space.
Would your proposed change defeat that separation?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Are you saying that these fixtures are deliberately connected to an air handler with flow through the fixture for energy efficiency purposes?
If so the wiring would have to be plenum rated unless separated from the air flow space.
Would your proposed change defeat that separation?

It sounds as if he has a troffer fixture used for air distribution in commercial application.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I was thinking the UV light in the air handler setup.

Somehow I do not see retrofitting the UV light with LED or HO fluorescent with accompanying ballast replacement.
I doubt that the ballast in typical retrofit kits is plenum rated though.

Maybe I am reading too much into the OP's reference to retrofit in the thread title.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Somehow I do not see retrofitting the UV light with LED or HO fluorescent with accompanying ballast replacement.
I doubt that the ballast in typical retrofit kits is plenum rated though.

Maybe I am reading too much into the OP's reference to retrofit in the thread title.

It sounds as if he has a troffer light that needs the ballast changed and he wants to "retrofit" the location of the ballast.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It sounds as if he has a troffer light that needs the ballast changed and he wants to "retrofit" the location of the ballast.
Yup. And that will be more of a concern for a ventilated troffer than for a simple one, although relocating could still be a listing problem for either. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.