Romex brand 14/2 and Ginsu utility blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
This new thicker sheathing on their 14/2 is really slowing my production time. I thought it was just a fluke last month when I tied up 12K of it. But I'm still buying that thicker sheathing. Does anyone know if this is permanent for squirrel protection or just temporary because of supply chain? I will change to Cerro brand if this is permanent. It breaks my heart because I've always called Romex the champagne of NMB.

Todd0x1

I wonder if there was a UL change requiring thicker jacket? UL719 which covers NM-B was revised back in march of this year but im not paying $600 to see what it says.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I wonder if there was a UL change requiring thicker jacket? UL719 which covers NM-B was revised back in march of this year but im not paying $600 to see what it says.
You can read it for free. UL has made all of the standards available for free viewing using the same system that the NFPA uses for free viewing of the code. You just have to register with an email address.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe a new blade might help.
Speaking from experience.
Yes, plenty of new Milwaukee and DeWalt blades have been used. I need some Ginsu blades. The weather has made a difference. A few weeks ago it was plenty warm, but thank goodness it has cooled down here.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This new thicker sheathing on their 14/2 is really slowing my production time. I thought it was just a fluke last month when I tied up 12K of it. But I'm still buying that thicker sheathing. Does anyone know if this is permanent for squirrel protection or just temporary because of supply chain? I will change to Cerro brand if this is permanent. It breaks my heart because I've always called Romex the champagne of NMB.
I noticed that as well with the 14/2 South Wire brand.
I don't know if the sheathing on the other brands are just as thick.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've seen a lot of nicked wires as well as a lot of slightly ripped sheaths. This may be a slow method, but I just take my utility knife and, ever so slightly, score the jacket starting from the box and moving toward the tail end...then I push harder when I'm at the tail...now I pull it apart and it just rips apart very nicely without any danger of damaging the wires. UF is another story :)

I've seen a lot of nicked wires as well as a lot of slightly ripped sheaths. This may be a slow method, but I just take my utility knife and, ever so slightly, score the jacket starting from the box and moving toward the tail end...then I push harder when I'm at the tail...now I pull it apart and it just rips apart very nicely without any danger of damaging the wires. UF is another story :)
Yup. Only thing I would add/change is I've been doing this for over 20 years, I'm not slow 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.