Romex in a commercial Garage

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So what is the concensous? A couple of you said no it is not allowed some said yes or maybe. 511 seems kind of Vague. Is romex allowed in this building?
511 notes that "within the Class 1 location wring shall conform to Art 501. Art 511 further states it applies to garage building or "protons yhereof""
Art 501 does not allow NM cable as a wiring method.

IMO, IF you have a portion of the building which is designate by appropriate authorities to be non-classified the NM could be used provided it is allowed by Art 334 including being behind a 15 min rated cover.

Buck Parrish

511 notes that "within the Class 1 location wring shall conform to Art 501. Art 511 further states it applies to garage building or "protons yhereof""
Art 501 does not allow NM cable as a wiring method.

IMO, IF you have a portion of the building which is designate by appropriate authorities to be non-classified the NM could be used provided it is allowed by Art 334 including being behind a 15 min rated cover.
Thanks, Non Classified would mean if gas is not being drained, stored or somehow utilized in the work. Is that correct?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Adjacent areas can be classified... You need engineering/architecture input to determine the classified areas
See 500.4

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Thanks, Non Classified would mean if gas is not being drained, stored or somehow utilized in the work. Is that correct?
I think there is something in there that makes it non classified if they have ventilation that provides 4 air changes per hour. Are there pits?
I would think that much ventilation might possibly be there if they are working on class-8 trucks and welding,

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
All other things aside… I know somebody else mentioned it but how are they not getting ripped for all the bundling.

They basically have a long orange and yellow heater lol.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I don't understand why they didn't just install their own meter socket and service entrance. Or they should have had someone install the service and the panel, before they did their romex thing

Buck Parrish

I think there is something in there that makes it non classified if they have ventilation that provides 4 air changes per hour. Are there pits?
I would think that much ventilation might possibly be there if they are working on class-8 trucks and welding,

There are alot of code violations and hazardous conditions...do i see flying conductors straight into the buss? A better picture would be great.
I missed what your role is there- could you clarify? Set a meter, got it. Dont.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706_180211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_180211_Gallery.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 25

Buck Parrish

The scariest part is they thought that is acceptable. I can't imagine what it looks like when someone starts opening boxes

When ever you see wires twisted the wrong way on a screw. That's a clear indication whom ever wired it had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Although we here knew that just from looking at the panel. I opened some boxes . I found several grounds not even twisted together. No wire nuts on any.
I'll give him a price on a total re-wire on his new building.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706_175953_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_175953_Gallery.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230706_133220.jpg
    20230706_133220.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230706_180028_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_180028_Gallery.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
When ever you see wires twisted the wrong way on a screw. That's a clear indication whom ever wired it had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Although we here knew that just from looking at the panel. I opened some boxes . I found several grounds not even twisted together. No wire nuts on any.
I'll give him a price on a total re-wire on his new building.
Mercy

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
At least they were extra safe and protecting the down stream circuits by using the little fuses on BOTH sides of the recepts.