Rough-In in Unfinished Basements

Status
Not open for further replies.

eprice

:happyno: A basement is, well, a basement. Storage or not.

210.52(G)

I agree that the requirements in 210.52(G) would apply. What I question is requiring additional receptacles in an unfinished basement as if it were habitable space, especially if rooms have not been planned and uses have not been assigned to spaces there. Even if "future" rooms are shown, but intended to be unfinished, I question requiring the electrical to be roughed in before the basement is finished. The electrical isn't there, because it isn't finished.

iwire

Staff member
I agree that the requirements in 210.52(G) would apply. What I question is requiring additional receptacles in an unfinished basement as if it were habitable space, especially if rooms have not been planned and uses have not been assigned to spaces there. Even if "future" rooms are shown, but intended to be unfinished, I question requiring the electrical to be roughed in before the basement is finished. The electrical isn't there, because it isn't finished.

Exactly

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I always figured unfinished meant, well... unfinished. If the electrical rough isn't there, that's because it isn't finished :)

But if the plans just say "unfinished basement", what is the required receptacle spacing? Until it is finished later and rooms are created and uses assigned to them, it will just be used as a storage area. The NEC does not require receptacles in a storage area. It makes sense to rough in the electrical before putting sheet rock on the exterior walls, because it will be a pain to do it later, but I don't think the code requires it.

:happyno: A basement is, well, a basement. Storage or not.

210.52(G)

I wasn't saying that the spacing or required receptacles for a finished area should be followed just because framing was there on the outside walls.
I was responding to (see above in red) your statement that seemed to say the NEC didn't require a receptacle in an unfinished basement because it would be just for storage.
Just pointing out the code requirement for that!:thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I could understand why this may be required. If the basement gets insulation on the ceiling and in the walls then how will an inspector see the wiring later when one decides to close it in. Surely they can remove the insulation but I always try and convince the home owner to install it now especially in the outside walls. I don't believe one can enforce it unless there is an amendment

kwired

Electron manager
I often see load bearing walls installed in basements that are not otherwise finished. In fact these walls are typically built before the main floor deck is even installed as they are there for support of what is above. NEC does not require these walls to have wiring installed as if it were a habitable room. Someday if the space is finished, then the NEC habitable room rules kick in. If multiple unfinished rooms are created, each room will require at least one receptacle and one lighting outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.