Round Box in Exterior Brick Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What is the best way to cut in a round box in an exterior brick wall for lighting? The customer prefers the lights to be surface mounted. I've cut out for single gang boxes, but not for round box. Any tricks you can share?

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i always used a small carbide bit, drilled series of holes, knock it out with a hammer, and clean it up with an all puprpose haevy duty chisel or star drill ( hand and hammer) like giapetto, only with rock !

cowboyjwc

Staff member
LOL, funny one cowboy but I was serious. Cutting a box into a brick wall for a light fixture, I don't see why a guy couldn't use a cold chisel and cut in a standard rectangular masonry box???

I know, sometimes I just take questions at face value, that's the inspector in me.:happyyes:

I knew there was a way to do it, but it sure seemed like a lot of trouble.

I wonder if one of those new wonder cutters that everyone is advertising would work on brick?

cpinetree

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
i always used a small carbide bit, drilled series of holes, knock it out with a hammer, and clean it up with an all puprpose haevy duty chisel or star drill ( hand and hammer) like giapetto, only with rock !
This is the way I do it as well.

Drill a "dotted line" of 1/4" holes as close together as I can, without sliding into the previous hole I drilled. Then, it's the hammer and a 1/2" chisel.

If the brick is a particularly brittle face brick, I'll take the time to drill diagonally through the veins between adjacent holes before applying the chisel.

maghazadeh

What is the best way to cut in a round box in an exterior brick wall for lighting? The customer prefers the lights to be surface mounted. I've cut out for single gang boxes, but not for round box. Any tricks you can share?

Note: Little Bill said that he already made the whole rectangula, but not round.
Since you made the whole already you can not use any type of round whole cutter, it is not going to be guided. Just use the single gang boxes and retap 6/32 mounting holes to 8/32.

Rewire

Note: Little Bill said that he already made the whole rectangula, but not round.
Since you made the whole already you can not use any type of round whole cutter, it is not going to be guided. Just use the single gang boxes and retap 6/32 mounting holes to 8/32.

I dont think he has cut a hole yet. He was looking for suggestions on cutting a round hole he has experience cutting rectagular holes. A dry core bit would be the easiest but lacking that a series of small drilled holes in the circular pattern then chip out.Depending on the fixtture you can use a 3 1/2 pie pan and the base of the fixture will cover it.

maghazadeh

I dont think he has cut a hole yet. He was looking for suggestions on cutting a round hole he has experience cutting rectagular holes. A dry core bit would be the easiest but lacking that a series of small drilled holes in the circular pattern then chip out.Depending on the fixtture you can use a 3 1/2 pie pan and the base of the fixture will cover it.

Sorry my mistake.

kwired

Electron manager
314.27 A requirers the outlet box to be able to support a 50LB it dosent require you to actually mount it to the box.

I weigh well over 50 pounds. If I stand on the box and it does not collapse it can support at least 50 pounds right?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Nope, I haven't cut the hole yet.

Correct, I have cut for a rectangular box but not for a round one.
I don't have to use a round box, I just didn't think the holes in a device/switch box would
match the holes in the mounting hardware for the light.

John120/240

For the fixture bracket use a spinner bracket. One leg of the bracket attaches to the box

& the other leg of the bracket would pivot. For masonry construction use the box for

wire concealment & attach the fixture directly to the brick with tap cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.