Routing wires into and out of switchboard with main bolted pressure switch

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am specifying a Siemens 2000 amp 208V 3-phase main service switch. I will put a crown box on the top of it.

The service conductors are going to penetrate the top of the crown box and terminate to the switch.

The switchboard will freestand on concrete. This means feeder conductors cannot come out through bottom of the enclosure unless the floor is trenched.

Where is it appropriate for the feeder conductors to leave this enclosure?

Can it leave from the top through the same crown box or is that an issue?

Can the feeders come out through the sides of the switchboard or is that an issue?
Can the contractor cut the switchboard and connect a wireway on the bottom side of the switchboard to run feeders?

See my service switch below for reference

1700011289562.png

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Another main concern is to ensure NEC 230.7 is not violated.. So I need to figure out how to have the feeders leave this switchboard

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Where is the load connection to the switch for the exiting feeders? Top or bottom?
I think bottom because the service conductors will come from the top and land on the switch. You can also see the fuse access door on the bottom.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
A crown box is not a raceway.
A switchboard is not a raceway too... So does that mean the service conductors can come in from the top and then the feeders can leave from the top as well? I mean there is still a chance that the service conductors and feeders can create a fault bypassing the switch

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Done all of the time and typically not an issue. Someone might have a problem with the loss of venting shown in the photo but adding that big square hole would probably mitigate that loss.
Maybe I was overthinking. I haven't read anywhere out there not permitting to do this...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe I was overthinking. I haven't read anywhere out there not permitting to do this...
As long as you don't end up blocking a required access panel you should be fine. Obviously having the physical switchboard to look at makes designing the installation easier.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yea...

If wires come in from the top, how do the feeder conductors leave?
If this is a stand-alone unit (not the Main for a switchboard), you typically specify to the manufacturer when ordering it where you will want to have the exit wires go, ie Top-In/Top-Out, Top-In/Bottom-Out, Bottom-In/Top-Out etc. The gear must be able to accommodate wire bending space, so it might affect the dimensions of the cabinet.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If this is a stand-alone unit (not the Main for a switchboard), you typically specify to the manufacturer when ordering it where you will want to have the exit wires go, ie Top-In/Top-Out, Top-In/Bottom-Out, Bottom-In/Top-Out etc. The gear must be able to accommodate wire bending space, so it might affect the dimensions of the cabinet.
I get it, but is there a side in side out? lol

Also this service switch will feed a seperate 2000 amp distribution section.

I asked the sales engineer for just 1 separate distribution section and he said it would not be possible and that a pull section is required since the distribution section has 3-600 amp switches.