Samsung Refrigerator Tripping GFCI

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe they should find ways to eliminate the HF leakage in the appliance?

I've seen this addressed on clothes washers before. Had one that worked fine then suddenly was tripping the GFCI it was plugged into. Appliance repair guy was called first and of course told owner the GFCI was the problem. So now I have to prove something is wrong with the appliance.
This particular one had a "ground switch" in the EGC going to the motor that was otherwise isolated from other conductive components. That switch was NCHO and would be closed anytime the back cover was installed on the appliance, leaving the motor frame isolated from the EGC, yet not subject to anyone contacting it as the door was installed. The plastic mounting means ended up breaking so the switch falls out of place and is allowed to close. I opened that circuit and tried the machine and the GFCI held. Ordered a new switch and has been fine since.

I see no reason they can't do something similar with other appliances to make them compatible with GFCI's.

I also think outside of maybe swimming pool equipment anything not cord and plug connected should not need GFCI protection.
That will only happen if the appliance product standard is changed to require that high frequency leakage current be addressed.

That is the same issue with hard wired appliances where the code now requires GFCI protection. Many of those product standard do not have any leakage current requirements, because the writers of the product standard assume, and rightly so, that the code required EGC will prevent any issues with leakage current.

kwired

Electron manager
That will only happen if the appliance product standard is changed to require that high frequency leakage current be addressed.

That is the same issue with hard wired appliances where the code now requires GFCI protection. Many of those product standard do not have any leakage current requirements, because the writers of the product standard assume, and rightly so, that the code required EGC will prevent any issues with leakage current.
Then NEC CMP's need to open their eyes, and/or at least work with those that are responsible for product standards.

Can't just make up rules that are about impossible to comply with. Been too much of that the past few code cycles.

Us installers are the losers every time as we have to make customer happy yet we must follow the rules.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
opened that (EGC) circuit and tried the machine and the GFCI held
I tried that trick, but made the mistake of taking off for lunch during the wash cycle.

Client claimed my trick didn't work, but wouldn't let me put back the lifted EGC, before I went home unpaid.

Now I don't screw with the EGC, preferring to get paid by providing compelling evidence for MFG to replace offending appliance if under warranty.