Screws shmooes...I have staples <picture>

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

peter d said:
It's just common practice to use furring strips in Massachusetts and Rhode Island (and the northern New England states too.) Every new home I've ever wired in RI/MA had furring strips.

I'll add that when I was wiring new homes in CT I never saw a single furring strip. Very regional I guess.

The only time I see it is with trusses at 2' on center.

electricmanscott

Rather than wait for the code that prohibits this....It will be a loooonnnnggggg wait, I'll post the code that allows it.

300.4(D)

Here in Mass you are only required to be 3/4" away from the strapping and you are allowed to run diagonal right over it.

Minuteman

electricmanscott said:
Just the way things are done in these parts. Makes wiring much easier initially and also when adding things after the fact.

Pretty much every house here is done this way and always has been since houses were invented .
Looks like waste of wood to me.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
Not only that, I actually used the thing today... :grin:

Now that would be worthy of a pix. :grin: :grin:

I have one myself. Haven't used it in 10-12 years. I really don't know where it is.

Then again, I'm guilty of being, uh, 'creative' in mounting cans and using screws on occasion:

screwcanlight.jpg

Last edited:

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
Now that would be worthy of a pix. :grin: :grin:

I have one myself. Haven't used it in 10-12 years. I really don't know where it is.

Then again, I'm guilty of being, uh, 'creative' in mounting cans and using screws on occasion:

I just predrill the joist hanger...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
quogueelectric said:
I really didnt want to let on I only use lasers now but you made me. Sorry strings went the way of the wiggy to the tar pits.

oh come on. i use my wiggy on a daily basis, and the hacksaw at least 2-3 times a week. :)

I do use strings on occasion too. They're great for large open spans and awkward layouts; I used them on a 1900 sq. ft. house that had 92 recessed fixtures; it helped speed things up a bit.

quogueelectric

brantmacga said:
oh come on. i use my wiggy on a daily basis, and the hacksaw at least 2-3 times a week. :)

I do use strings on occasion too. They're great for large open spans and awkward layouts; I used them on a 1900 sq. ft. house that had 92 recessed fixtures; it helped speed things up a bit.
Sorry to hear that.
Even Dr evil had sharks with laser beams on thier heads or at least sea bass that were nasty. Labor is very expensive in yankee land. Tools are not anywhere near as expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.