Screws shmooes...I have staples <picture>

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I guess you guys are saying this work will not meet the NEC. I still haven't seen a reason why. This picture (from the handbook) shows what 300.4 (D)allows you to do. As I said already that 1-1/4" distance is reduced in Mass to 3/4" so the cables shown can be even closer to the edge of the furring strip which does not matter in this case anyway.
Show me where I am wrong. :-?

Sorry about the size of the picture, I tried to resize it, obviously didn't work..

DSC00525.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Don't try to change the topic, we still have to flog you for using staples to support high hats. :grin:

Oh wait, I used to use staples for that too. :grin:

Seriously I see no violations in any of Scot's pictures.

JES2727

iwire said:
Maybe but they are the electricians friend when it's time to add circuits. You can fish across a room in either direction. :cool:

But a pain in the neck when adding ceiling fan boxes.

blue spark

electricmanscott said:
I expected a severe beating for this, however unwarranted it would actualy be.....how disappointing
Sorry bub but I'd say no violations and innovative. The blue staples are tacky:wink:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
:grin:
electricmanscott said:
I expected a severe beating for this, however unwarranted it would actualy be.....how disappointing
I suspect "they" are still recuperating from the nail plate discussion.

:cool:

Minuteman

iwire said:
Maybe but they are the electricians friend when it's time to add circuits. You can fish across a room in either direction. :cool:

That may be true, but I can still run wires in either directions in a ceiling without furring strips. There may be a few holes to patch afterwords, but that ain't my problem! :D

peter d

ultramegabob said:
why do they have firing strips on the bottom of the joists? is that common practice in your area?

I think someone might have mentioned that already. ;)

peter d said:
It's just common practice to use furring strips in Massachusetts and Rhode Island (and the northern New England states too.) Every new home I've ever wired in RI/MA had furring strips.

electricmanscott

This furring strip thing goes way back to when buffalo roamed these lands. Houses around here can be up to a couple hundred years old and they all are built with that method.

iwire

Staff member
electricmanscott said:
Here is another look at my ghastly wiring and deadly wiring method.

joistwires.jpg

I can't believe you ran the cables white, yellow, white white. :mad:

The correct way is white, white, yellow, white. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.