Siemens handle tie for 3 BL-120's

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
This is from the product letter pdf.

? Application: can be used in 3 Phase 240V systems to provide simultaneous
disconnect means for multi-wire branch circuits as identified in the 2008 NEC, article
? Fits single pole circuit breakers, types: QP, QPH, HQP, MP-T, MP-HT, MP-MT, BL,
BLH, HBL, BQ, BQH, HBQ.
Interesting it says 3 Phase 240V. 208 out of the question?

Riograndeelectric

Looked at the PDF and I didn't see where it could be used as a handle tie - just for locking out.

There are three new products available:
  • ECQTH4 - Padlocking capabilities as well as a slider plate that provides simultanous disconnect for 3 single pole breakers. Yellow Chromate finish.
  • ECPLD3 - Padlocking capabilities for 3 single pole breakers, 1 single pole and 1 two pole breaker, or 1 three pole breaker. Yellow Chromate finish.
  • ECPLD3R - Same as the ECPLD3 but with a red painted finish.
The new ECQTH4 provides means to disconnect simultaneously three circuit breakers. The design ensures that if one breaker is switched to the OFF position, all three breakers will be OFF. An application for this feature would be to provide simultaneous disconnect means for multi-wire branch circuits as identified in the 2008 NEC, article 210.4.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
thia does not make sens " not for use on 3 pahse circuits.

so why would one need to disconect 3 single pole breaker at the saem tiem if it was not a 3 pahse circuit.
might be worth putting a call inot Siemens on this
Someone's fingers are not cooperating today. :cool:

muckusmc

There are three new products available:
  • ECQTH4 - Padlocking capabilities as well as a slider plate that provides simultanous disconnect for 3 single pole breakers. Yellow Chromate finish.
  • ECPLD3 - Padlocking capabilities for 3 single pole breakers, 1 single pole and 1 two pole breaker, or 1 three pole breaker. Yellow Chromate finish.
  • ECPLD3R - Same as the ECPLD3 but with a red painted finish.
The new ECQTH4 provides means to disconnect simultaneously three circuit breakers. The design ensures that if one breaker is switched to the OFF position, all three breakers will be OFF. An application for this feature would be to provide simultaneous disconnect means for multi-wire branch circuits as identified in the 2008 NEC, article 210.4.

Ooops - see that now - really need to start wearing my glasses more. :grin:

If I was a liberalcrat I wouldn't even have to read anything to know what it says - :D

kwired

Electron manager
thia does not make sens " not for use on 3 pahse circuits.

so why would one need to disconect 3 single pole breaker at the saem tiem if it was not a 3 pahse circuit.
might be worth putting a call inot Siemens on this

my guess is it means not for use where an actual 3 pole common trip breaker is required.

~Shado~

ok I am very confused!!!

Siemens says it si for disconecting 3 single pole breakers at the same time. so would this not act as a common trip to disconect all 3 poles on a 3 phase circuit??

NO....what it is doing is only allowing you to manually open or close the handles at same time....

I am sure you have come across a 2 pole at some time that had tie handle sloppy and only opened 1 pole when it tripped.....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Siemens says it si for disconecting 3 single pole breakers at the same time. so would this not act as a common trip to disconect all 3 poles on a 3 phase circuit??
While most handle ties will cause one pole to take out the other(s), the NEC requires that multi-pole breakers incorporate an 'internal common trip' device which links the poles independently of the handle tie.

The handle tie is considered adequate for manual operation of multiple breakers, which may be, but are not required to be, multi-pole breakers used in place of individual, handle-tied individual breakers. (Whew!)

Status
Not open for further replies.