Splices in a panel to connect generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamben

Hello fellow electricians

i am putting in a generator on an existing 400 amp panel at a residence. I'll need to connect the original circuits in the panel to the circuits coming from the generator panel. Does the code permit splicing in the panel in this instance as the branch circuit wires are relatively short. I wanted to bring in all my generator wiring and splice to the existing circuits in panel. I figured this way if the generator is taken out or changed. The circuits could be disconnected and terminated back on breakers in the panel just like they originally did. What code section would apply?
Thanks

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hello fellow electricians

i am putting in a generator on an existing 400 amp panel at a residence. I'll need to connect the original circuits in the panel to the circuits coming from the generator panel. Does the code permit splicing in the panel in this instance as the branch circuit wires are relatively short. I wanted to bring in all my generator wiring and splice to the existing circuits in panel. I figured this way if the generator is taken out or changed. The circuits could be disconnected and terminated back on breakers in the panel just like they originally did. What code section would apply?
Thanks

AS long as you do not over fill the panel you can do it.:thumbsup:

Bantamben

Thanks 312.8 I guess is the code section right. I think in this case it's fine as it will be reversible easily if the generator isn't used or if the owner decides to switch the circuits to be generated. It's a new panel and is practically empty.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Thanks 312.8 I guess is the code section right. I think in this case it's fine as it will be reversible easily if the generator isn't used or if the owner decides to switch the circuits to be generated. It's a new panel and is practically empty.

Not Article 312, but Article 408...:)

2014 NEC...

ARTICLE 408 Switchboards, Switchgear, and Panelboards
I. General
408.1 Scope. This article covers switchboards, switchgear, and panelboards. It does not apply to equipment operating at over 1000 volts, except as specifically referenced elsewhere in the Code.

jumper

2014 NEC...

I. General
408.1 Scope. This article covers switchboards, switchgear, and panelboards. It does not apply to equipment operating at over 1000 volts, except as specifically referenced elsewhere in the Code.

Harry, but I think this covered in 312.8 as stated earlier.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Harry, but I think this covered in 312.8 as stated earlier.

That's right, I just read that section again.:p

312.8 Switch and Overcurrent Device Enclosures with Splices, Taps, and Feed-Through Conductors. The wiring space of enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall be permitted for conductors feeding through, spliced, or tapping off to other enclosures, switches, or overcurrent devices where all of the following conditions are met

(1) The total of all conductors installed at any cross section of the wiring space does not exceed 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

(2) The total area of all conductors, splices, and taps installed at any cross section of the wiring space does not exceed 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

(3) A warning label complying with 110.21(B) is applied to the enclosure that identifies the closest disconnecting means for any feed-through conductors.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

2014 NEC...

I. General
Article 408 only covers the "guts" of a panel. The panel enclosure is covered by Article 312.

Status
Not open for further replies.